LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW subscription model for 2022

Solved!
Go to solution

I agree. I would purchase LabVIEW at the current price if it was a perpetual license instead of SaaS and included the SSP.

0 Kudos
Message 841 of 901
(2,326 Views)

@Mads wrote:

The best thing would be to roll back the subscription model alltogether;

I have been convinced that the subscription does meet some needs.  But that is not the case for 80% of engineers.  NI's mistake was forcing the 80% of us circles into the square hole for the 20%.  The perpetual should be the normal and then have the options for subscription.  Or, to put another way, flip the priority NI is currently showing.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 842 of 901
(2,310 Views)

Over the course of a month, I submitted three different RFQs for the perpetual license after noticing it was an option again.   Sadly I suspect it was just a fishing expedition as I never heard back.  

0 Kudos
Message 843 of 901
(2,065 Views)

This is not a fishing expedition. As you saw in many posts in this forum, NI reaches out to users requesting quotes. I've specifically instructed our sales development engineers to reach out directly to every user, instead of just emailing a quote.

I reached out to you regarding your issue of not getting a quote so please let me know what happened to follow-up.

Ahmed Eisawy | Director of Test Software Commercialization | +1 (503) 453-9178 | ni.com
0 Kudos
Message 844 of 901
(1,927 Views)

Why would a director feel the need to disclose ANY information on a public forum about their customers?  Then again, I know I shouldn't expect any level of professionalism from NI.  Those days are behind us.    

You are correct, I did not respond as after my third RFQ, there was little reason to spend more time with it.

0 Kudos
Message 845 of 901
(1,897 Views)

I should be clear that NI did respond to my original RFQ:

"I see you're looking into perpetual licenses, do you already have an idea of what exactly you're looking for?"

I explained I was required to fill out a form which included the part number.  You couldn't get anymore exact than that.  I did provide that same PN in my response, just in case the sales/marketing group did not have access to the actual data.   I then waited about a week before filling out the second RFQ (same PN and account).  There was no response and after several more days, I filed one last RFQ.  

It certainly seems like NI is only interested in getting a feel for how many customers they could potentially gain by such an offer.  If there was any actual intent on offering the perpetual license again, I would have had it that day.

0 Kudos
Message 846 of 901
(1,875 Views)

@old_fart wrote:

I should be clear that NI did respond to my original RFQ:

"I see you're looking into perpetual licenses, do you already have an idea of what exactly you're looking for?"

I explained I was required to fill out a form which included the part number.  You couldn't get anymore exact than that.  I did provide that same PN in my response, just in case the sales/marketing group did not have access to the actual data.   I then waited about a week before filling out the second RFQ (same PN and account).  There was no response and after several more days, I filed one last RFQ.  

It certainly seems like NI is only interested in getting a feel for how many customers they could potentially gain by such an offer.  If there was any actual intent on offering the perpetual license again, I would have had it that day.

NI doesn't do "fishing expeditions" or "feel for number of customers". That kind of language is unnecessary and I would appreciate it if you use professional language in this forum.

As explained before, this is a first step towards a course correction to reenable our community to choose between subscription and perpetual models. The first step is not ideal but it's certainly not intended to be the last. Our intent is to meet our customers needs, as we improve our processes moving forward.

Again, I've reached out to you privately about the next steps. Feel free to reach back to support you.

Ahmed Eisawy | Director of Test Software Commercialization | +1 (503) 453-9178 | ni.com
0 Kudos
Message 847 of 901
(1,830 Views)

" ... That kind of language is unnecessary and I would appreciate it if you use professional language in this forum. ..."

Fishing for data is hardly what I consider unprofessional language but if you feel that strongly about it, feel free to ban my accounts.

Message 848 of 901
(1,819 Views)

After three RFQs and six emails, I received a quote from NI.   I had requested the Professional Development System, PN 776678-35.   The quote states Windows, All Languages.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I assume then this is not cross-platform like the subscription license?   While there is no mention of the authentication in the quote,  I want to make sure that what you are offering is like the original perpetual license with no need for an internet connection. 

At over 3X the previous costs,  I can't say that it is worth it for our company or not. We have pretty much resigned to the locked license and may decide to just continue down that path until the software no longer runs while we work on a transition but it is good to know it's an option. 

0 Kudos
Message 849 of 901
(1,618 Views)

@old_fart wrote:

After three RFQs and six emails, I received a quote from NI.   I had requested the Professional Development System, PN 776678-35.   The quote states Windows, All Languages.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I assume then this is not cross-platform like the subscription license?   While there is no mention of the authentication in the quote,  I want to make sure that what you are offering is like the original perpetual license with no need for an internet connection. 

At over 3X the previous costs,  I can't say that it is worth it for our company or not. We have pretty much resigned to the locked license and may decide to just continue down that path until the software no longer runs while we work on a transition but it is good to know it's an option. 

I guess I did not get any deal when I requested a quote either, but your quote seems better than what I received.

0 Kudos
Message 850 of 901
(1,564 Views)