LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW subscription model for 2022

Solved!
Go to solution

Please go to the LabVIEW page on ni.com and request a quote for a perpetual license. 

Our sales development engineers will reach out to talk to you about the quote and discuss a needed discount that meets your needs.

Such requests for discounts come to me so we'll make sure to meet your needs.

Ahmed Eisawy | Director of Test Software Commercialization | +1 (503) 453-9178 | ni.com
Message 821 of 859
(1,758 Views)

so we'll make sure to meet your needs”

not to be blunt, but I don’t like vague figures. T
o get it a bit more out of the gray area. Not just for me but everyone here is giving the same signals.

my ‘needs’ would be a perpetual license that would be roughly the cost of 3x the SSP before the subscription experiment started. Including a full year SSP.

I am just a small business owner., doing some occasional work with LabVIEW.

When things are more expensive, I either need to have a potential customer pay for the subscription (then they will

likely pick someone that doesn’t use LabVIEW) or I will have to use my old

perpetual license.

Can you give any indication what I should think about. Is it OK for me to get my hopes up?

---

25+ years long fan of LabVIEW. Move to Emerson looks to be for the better! See the last posts in subscription model thread.
Message 822 of 859
(1,752 Views)

Yes, please get your hopes up 😀

Our first goal is to regain many of our lost loyal customers. I understand my statements are vague, but that's because our work is not done yet. Our perpetual enablement is limited, hence, not announced nor advertised. We have more work to do.

We appreciate your patience with us while we're working on lots of details, but we want to announce it once we've worked through the feedback that you've shared already with us.

Ahmed Eisawy | Director of Test Software Commercialization | +1 (503) 453-9178 | ni.com
Message 823 of 859
(1,734 Views)

If you turn back the calendar more than a wee bit, then you would be able to see that yearly SSP renewal was 20% of the cost of a what ever was the then current perpetual license purchase price.  If you renewed late, then it was 40%.  However, expired SSPs for any duration could be renewed for 50%.

Sometime about 10 years ago, SSP renewal went up to 25% of the then current perpetual license purchase price.

What might make sense to me is that:

Emerson ask for forgiveness for what NI has done.

Roll back LabVIEW Perpetual License to their prices before the 2022 subscription model.

Reinstate the yearly SSP renewal was 20% with late or expired SSPs penalty fees not applied for a year or so.

I have been retired for about 6 years now and use MacOS and Windows LabVIEW Pro at home as a hobby.  I was fortunate to purchase the NI Software Platform Bundle ($$,$$$) in fall 2021 just a few months prior to the December 2021 announcement of the 2022 Subscription Model.

Meanwhile I purchased the final MacOS LabVIEW Pro version in February 2024, however NI/Emerson has refused its promise to convert my MacOS LabVIEW Pro subscription to a perpetual license.

Message 824 of 859
(1,713 Views)

If anyone would like to renew their expired SSP for perpetual development license, for the next quarter (up until end of September 2024) we can waive the late fees and just pay the 25% of the perpetual list price.

For anyone who buys a new perpetual development license this year with a discount and would like to renew their SSP next year, we can honor that discount, if needed.

Message 825 of 859
(1,686 Views)

@AhmedEisawy wrote:

If anyone would like to renew their SSP, we'll waive the late fees and just pay the 25% of the perpetual pricing. 

If additional discounting is needed, we can accommodate as well.

This is a great step in the right direction IMO. If you are looking for software business models that strike a nice balance between free and commercial software check out IntelliJ. 

Hi Ahmed, 

I requested a quote (#2769286), as you recommended, and also sent a web chat message to sales. 

Here is some feedback on the quote process:

The quote process is buried in the shopping cart process and should be easier for new customers to find.

Perpetual license is not yet a selectable option, only subscription is.

Message 827 of 859
(1,503 Views)

This thread shows the passionate desire of LabVIEW fans to continue to use it, while at the same time expressing their frustrations over its sad downward spiral.

It is encouraging to now see NI engaging in this dialog.

When I left NI in 2001 after serving as VP of Engineering during the years of NI's gangbuster growth, I worked for a company with 1000 employees with about 40 LabVIEW licenses and an annual NI revenue of about $150,000. It was with a heavy heart I saw the decaying use of LabVIEW the next 19 years until I retired. Today it is almost irrelevant in that company.

The LabVIEW pricing issue, imho, cannot be looked at in isolation.   It is a combination of many factors, that has sabotaged LabVIEW and the "portfolio" market.  

LabVIEW + DAQ combined with an enthusiastic direct sales force, built the LabVIEW success, which in reality was the NI success.  

The deep, innovative integration between LabVIEW and DAQ also played a key role:  LabVIEW on multiple platforms, not only OS wise, but also on FPGA  and tightly coupled with DAQ hardware ASICs gave a competitive advantage thanks to NI's vertical integration.

Therefore,  if NI is to regain LabVIEW's success, it must be addressed holistically.   This requires deep, creative and on-going commitment by top management. 

It was encouraging to see the renewed emphasis on LabVIEW at NI Week Connect 2024.  I hope that 2024 is the year where things turn the corner. That NI again demonstrates deep committment to LabVIEW... at least on the same level as its dwindling number of users who have been cheerleading it through the years.

I wish all of NI success with this tremendous challenge!

Message 828 of 859
(1,440 Views)

@AhmedEisawy wrote:

Yes, please get your hopes up 😀

Our first goal is to regain many of our lost loyal customers. I understand my statements are vague, but that's because our work is not done yet. Our perpetual enablement is limited, hence, not announced nor advertised. We have more work to do.

We appreciate your patience with us while we're working on lots of details, but we want to announce it once we've worked through the feedback that you've shared already with us

please go to the LabVIEW page on ni.com and request a quote for a perpetual license. 

Our sales development engineers will reach out to talk to you about the quote and discuss a needed discount that meets your needs.

Such requests for discounts come to me so we'll make sure to meet your needs.

If anyone would like to renew their SSP, we'll waive the late fees and just pay the 25% of the perpetual pricing. 

If additional discounting is needed, we can accommodate as well.

Rant incoming

I so much really really want to feel this is positive and stepping in the correct direction, but I feel it is being handled SO BADLY. 

Your telling us your work is not done yet fine I get that, but why then tell us to call and get our discount price or get back on SSP at discount prices.

There is, in this thread and others so much feedback about Licensing and pricing. Lots of comments by small business how the prices and license impact them, there has been talk about tiering the prices, monthly payment rather they yearly and much more. You don't need more feedback you need to decide what your going to do about it and tell use. I can them make a choice, to engage or walk away.

Instead your saying if I call and get to speak to the right person I may get a discount price I may get my SSP discounted, but without details this is all meaningless. Should I call now or would I be better waiting to find out what the published prices are, they might be better or they might be worse. If I got a price how do I know I have a "good" discounted price or a "poor" discount price.

Who do I call, there is no link I can find on the NI Wed pages, in the UK LabVIEW sales are now through distributors, do I call them ?

How do I make financial plans going forward when I have no idea what a key component of my business will be this year never mind next year.

I think above all I hate that there are those who may get the limited Perpetual license and a budget price, because they read about it on this thread, or were told by someone. Then there will be lots of other that will not, if I am try 53 person to call and there are no discounts or Perpetual licenses left, but the small business up the road who is my competitor for work gets one that puts them at an unfair advance when quoting for the same project.

This is as readers may note a frustrated and angry response, I actually want a way to move forward from my LV2021 SP stopping point, I like and enjoy LabVIEW I want Emerson and LabVIEW to success and flourish. I want to feel like am dealing with a fair world class organization not a used car organization.

Its funny when I stopped at LabVIEW 2021 I thought I didn't care anymore what happened, but it appears I do still care.

Danny Thomson AshVire Ltd
Message 829 of 859
(1,329 Views)

Danny,

You're right, we have all the feedback we need from this thread, and hence, we're not asking for more feedback.

We're asking for more time for us to digest all the feedback and act on it. Hence, the change we made was unannounced.

It's a step forward, towards correcting previous decisions, but it's not enough. We plan on doing more and you'll hear about it this year.

For your question specifically, you don't need to call anyone.

You just go to the LabVIEW Select Edition page: https://www.ni.com/en/shop/labview/select-edition.html 

Then, click on "Perpetual development licenses": 

AhmedEisawy_0-1717777989608.png

It'll take you to the bottom of the page to request a quote:

AhmedEisawy_1-1717778055738.png

Then, our sales development engineers will call you with a quote and offer you a discount. 

These discounts are approved by me so if you feel you need more, please reach out to me.

Message 830 of 859
(1,292 Views)