LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW subscription model for 2022

Solved!
Go to solution

A friend of mine is suggesting that NI rents the company to Emerson using a subscription license. 

Message 561 of 732
(2,467 Views)

That's an excellent idea!!

Oh, as a heads up, I bought a few shares of NI stock today.  This will guarantee the price will tank.  Be advised.

Message 562 of 732
(2,431 Views)

So, we are now well into 2023.

We are all on subscription, at least those of us still on the bandwagon, and then what.

I been on the train since 1995, so I will stay on for the next three years as offered. But after that, I don't know. My main application cannot be upgraded beyond 2018 SP1 due to NI killing the hybrid compiler. I guess no developer in NI understands or cares for the hybrid compiler anymore. Show decision courage by kill'ing instead of improve or at least keep.

Apparently NI focuses on WEB. Distributing whatever is already developed in a WEB connected world. This is not easy in that dangerous world. So NI spams us with SystemLink since 2018. You can't hardly install anything without also getting SystemLink installed.

I guess that is important when selling to BIG accounts. To me, no benefit at all. Actually just an irritation. A lot of 3'rd party software. And services. I hope it is safe code. 

So NI and I are not in sync anymore. I don't benefit from LabVIEW improvements. I hope somebody does. LabVIEW don't improve much to anybody, but it is also functionally good as is.

I  noticed that 2022 Q3 killed the CHM help files concept and replaced it with WEB. Work in progress. Personally I have all the old CHM files and PDF files. But I wonder how a newcomer gets an overview of features by reading the WEB help. Like reading a book using a loupe.

Time erodes everything so does anything matter. Would I have started with LabVIEW in the early 90'es if it had been subscription then. No. Would I then have had a better life. No. LabVIEW was/is a fun programming language. So I was lucky.

I wish everybody A Happy New Year

0 Kudos
Message 563 of 732
(2,164 Views)

@Yndigegn wrote:

So, we are now well into 2023.

We are all on subscription, at least those of us still on the bandwagon, and then what.

I been on the train since 1995, so I will stay on for the next three years as offered. But after that, I don't know. My main application cannot be upgraded beyond 2018 SP1 due to NI killing the hybrid compiler. I guess no developer in NI understands or cares for the hybrid compiler anymore. Show decision courage by kill'ing instead of improve or at least keep.

Apparently NI focuses on WEB. Distributing whatever is already developed in a WEB connected world. This is not easy in that dangerous world. So NI spams us with SystemLink since 2018. You can't hardly install anything without also getting SystemLink installed.

I guess that is important when selling to BIG accounts. To me, no benefit at all. Actually just an irritation. A lot of 3'rd party software. And services. I hope it is safe code. 

So NI and I are not in sync anymore. I don't benefit from LabVIEW improvements. I hope somebody does. LabVIEW don't improve much to anybody, but it is also functionally good as is.

I  noticed that 2022 Q3 killed the CHM help files concept and replaced it with WEB. Work in progress. Personally I have all the old CHM files and PDF files. But I wonder how a newcomer gets an overview of features by reading the WEB help. Like reading a book using a loupe.

Time erodes everything so does anything matter. Would I have started with LabVIEW in the early 90'es if it had been subscription then. No. Would I then have had a better life. No. LabVIEW was/is a fun programming language. So I was lucky.

I wish everybody A Happy New Year

Just addressing the CHM part, as per NI's response, it looks like it is Microsoft who ditched CHM due to security issues and NI had to transition to the web to keep up with security.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 564 of 732
(2,143 Views)

Microsoft has not ditched CHM. Actually the version in Windows 11 22H2 is the best ever since XP. Best meaning being able to properly decode CHM content. Some day they will ditch it of course. They have tried since 2005.

What NI's Eric said was this :

Main problem: NI relied on CHMs for way too long. The massive number of security exploits that even a 5 year old can take advantage of forced us to make this change.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Offline-Help-window-in-LabVIEW-2022/td-p/4250580/page/3

Erics response makes perfect sense if he is focusing on BIG accounts with a locked down workspace environment.

NI has a long story of producing superb documentation. PDF documents always had index bookmarks and were a joy to read. Even before 1995. They also hang on to the flawed Adobe BookShelf concept in 2001..2006. Kudo's for trying. But PDF fell out of fashion within NI around 2010..2015. Pity.

0 Kudos
Message 565 of 732
(2,073 Views)

I can recall a time… long ago.. in the past century…

I started working with LabVIEW. You payed a lot, software came on CD’s. And there were even books… paper… in the box.

They were easy to read, you could take them anywhere. They had images. You could place bookmarks. They never ran out of batteries. They had no security risks.

And they were great to get an understanding of the whole eco system. Better than any chm or pdf could ever provide…

For what you pay… these books can well be included.

---

25+ years long fan of LabVIEW. Be aware that NI changed their business model with great impact .
0 Kudos
Message 566 of 732
(2,056 Views)

@beuvink wrote:

I can recall a time… long ago.. in the past century…

I started working with LabVIEW. You payed a lot, software came on CD’s. And there were even books… paper… in the box.

They were easy to read, you could take them anywhere. They had images. You could place bookmarks. They never ran out of batteries. They had no security risks.

And they were great to get an understanding of the whole eco system. Better than any chm or pdf could ever provide…

For what you pay… these books can well be included.

For what you pay, you should get your own personal intern that will look the stuff up for you. 

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 567 of 732
(1,983 Views)

Regarding the hostile takeover

Change is good, right?

0 Kudos
Message 568 of 732
(1,906 Views)

Not if their main concern is increasing profit margin, i.e. cutting costs. I'm sure there's fat to trim but that almost always includes some collateral damage to R&D, support, etc.

Only time will tell.

~ The wizard formerly known as DerrickB ~
Gradatim Ferociter
0 Kudos
Message 569 of 732
(1,859 Views)

One of the points in the Emerson infographic is the relatively high percentage of R&D of about 20% of the sales that NI has, and how bad that is for shareholder value when you compare to them and other similar companies who tend to be between 10 and 15%. So you can be sure that cutting in development is one of the things they will do for sure. And cutting anything that doesn't deliver to the bottom line enough.

LabVIEW definitely won't be part of what is left over. It never was the money maker for NI and in fact for much of its existence was cross subsidized through sales in first GPIB and later DAQ hardware. Without those parts LabVIEW would not have been possible. But there was a big value in LabVIEW for NI as it was the sales tool par excellence for that NI hardware.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 570 of 732
(1,802 Views)