cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW subscription model for 2022

Solved!
Go to solution

@rolfk  ha scritto:

I have no idea if they will be released always at the same moment. The intention is at least to make it so, but you may have to wait sometimes a bit. Considering that it would be not very smart to upgrade to a new versions just weeks before you let your subscription lapse, this shouldn't be a huge problem though.

ok, this removed the technical problem of "accessibility" of my source code.

It remains the fact that to make any future change to a LV software, I must restart paying.

It blows my mind that in 2022 I would have to do this, I will never agree that LV is a "service", to be paid for to be used. 

This concept would be the END of the software programming.

Message 521 of 748
(2,112 Views)

Yes, well that's why this thread has 53 pages of comments, and many users have added warnings to their community signatures 😢

Message 522 of 748
(2,078 Views)

Everybody on subscription should

print the documentarion of the VI hierarchy and the project.

That way the LabVIEW code can be viewed without relying on NI. Also the LV CE does not support all modules.

Best Holger 

0 Kudos
Message 523 of 748
(2,071 Views)

HB@BNT wrote:

Everybody on subscription should

print the documentarion of the VI hierarchy and the project.

That way the LabVIEW code can be viewed without relying on NI. Also the LV CE does not support all modules.

Best Holger 

Unfortunately, no good solutions exist.  At least, not yet.  Makes me wonder who, at NI, thought this would not be a problem?  Seems like they don't even understand their own product any more.  The alternative - that they simply didn't care until the tidal wave of pushback - is something I do not want to contemplate...

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 524 of 748
(2,012 Views)

@billko  a écrit :

Seems like they don't even understand their own product any more.

I think this is an defensible point, from the point of view of a LabVIEW expert it make sense to consider that G is general purpose language. Read Altenbach's post here.

I tend to think - without any certainty though - that Dr Truchard was sharing this point of view, remember the "LabVIEW everywhere" slogan and the "100 year plan" in the late 90's.

But quite clearly NI's current top management has a different idea of the LabVIEW product.

As a LabVIEW aficionado I feel a bit let down.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

Message 525 of 748
(1,946 Views)

The "LabVIEW everywhere" slogan was truly an ambitious undertaking 😁, in hindsight a little to ambitious. Even with infinite financial resources it is unlikely that this could ever have happened. But it was both technically inspired and in the presence of real competition also necessary. Nowadays, LabVIEW is a unicorn in many aspects. One of a kind in a sea of textual programming of all kinds and a few simple block diagram sketching ones.

And without competition it is very hard to be inspired anymore.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 526 of 748
(1,956 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

The "LabVIEW everywhere" slogan was truly an ambitious undertaking 😁, in hindsight a little to ambitious.

I hate most marking speak, but that one worked on me.  Imagine a world where one of the things that defines you as a person and is a large part of your life, is this obscure thing, that you've had to justify for most of your career.  A thing that is discounted by many as a toy.  Then in a simple two word slogan, have it tell you that the future should make it the default, and the standard to be used everywhere.  That is inspiring. 

Engineer Ambitiously?  I already am!  I don't need a corpo to tell me to do my job better.

Message 527 of 748
(1,879 Views)

@Hooovahh  a écrit :

I hate most marking speak, but that one worked on me.  Imagine a world where one of the things that defines you as a person and is a large part of your life, is this obscure thing, that you've had to justify for most of your career.  A thing that is discounted by many as a toy.  Then in a simple two word slogan, have it tell you that the future should make it the default, and the standard to be used everywhere.  That is inspiring. 

Engineer Ambitiously?  I already am!  I don't need a corpo to tell me to do my job better.

NI went from

"LabVIEW Everywhere"

to

"LabVIEW continues to be the ONLY programming language designed just for test and measurement applications"

and then produces this slogan "Engineer Ambitiously"...

The question it raises in my mind is : has NI been too ambitious with NXG?

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

Message 528 of 748
(1,852 Views)

Excellent post Jay. Unfortunately it's too late for me and there's no hope of learning python!

My solution is to just stick to LabVIEW 2016 for which we have fully paid up PDS licence.

Message 529 of 748
(1,697 Views)

@TiTou wrote:

The question it raises in my mind is : has NI been too ambitious with NXG?

I don't know if too ambitious is the right description, but I think it's safe to say that mistakes were made considering that NXG didn't get much love from established users and was canceled two years ago.

Message 530 of 748
(1,691 Views)