From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW subscription model for 2022

Solved!
Go to solution

Thank you for the heads-up.

I anticipated that NI would migrate to a SAAS model and already implemented countermeasures to protect my operations moving forward.

I preemptively made a 3-year last-time-buy of permanent licenses. That supports operations for 5-15 years. And, it allows time for migrating to a LabVIEW replacement.

0 Kudos
Message 511 of 748
(1,812 Views)

Boomer here and I do feel bad about the world we're leaving to the next generations and hope to help support them in my retirement...

Now Get Off My Lawn! 

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
Message 512 of 748
(1,727 Views)

Yah, for once it's good to be old.

Message 513 of 748
(1,698 Views)

I find myself getting more and more crotchety(sp?) the older I get.....I also find myself not caring more the older I get.....

Steven Howell
Controls and Instrumentation Engineer
Jacobs Technologies
NASA Johnson Space Center
0 Kudos
Message 514 of 748
(1,476 Views)

I have a question.

Now I see LV2022 Q3, and so on. I guess it is now a rolling release??? 

I mean, if I were subscribed, should I upgrade every quarter? isn't it insane or now it's "transparent"? 

I mean, they have NOW (2022 Q3 edition) decoupled drivers from the engines, and probably new exe will just run seamless, but is it true?

If you deploy exe buildt in 2022 Q1 in production, then you upgrade development enviroinment, and then what? is it all seamless?

Message 515 of 748
(1,447 Views)

There is no 22Q1 as far as I know. There will be likely a 23Q1 which supposedly is kind of similar to 2022SP1. Still following? Although they stated that they want to get away from the yearly release and do something more akin to 2 continuous improvement releases per year (so not quarterly even though the version number is quarter base). These continuous improvement releases are expected to be binary compatible in terms of file formats for two versions and in that case would install in the same directory but they reserve the right to make binary incompatible changes and then install it in separate locations.

Will it be seamless? In theory yes, in practice I have to see it and expect that there will be some bumps in the road for sure.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 516 of 748
(1,436 Views)

@rolfk  ha scritto:

There is no 22Q1 as far as I know. There will be likely a 23Q1 which supposedly is kind of similar to 2022SP1. Still following? Although they stated that they want to get away from the yearly release and do something more akin to 2 continuous improvement releases per year (so not quarterly even though the version number is quarter base). These continuous improvement releases are expected to be binary compatible in terms of file formats for two versions and in that case would install in the same directory but they reserve the right to make binary incompatible changes and then install it in separate locations.

Will it be seamless? In theory yes, in practice I have to see it and expect that there will be some bumps in the road for sure.

So is it true that from now on, if I subscribe and after 1 year I stop paying, my source code will be not accessible anymore? And the only way to gain access to it would be to start paying again?

0 Kudos
Message 517 of 748
(1,365 Views)

@Konan__ wrote:

So is it true that from now on, if I subscribe and after 1 year I stop paying, my source code will be not accessible anymore? And the only way to gain access to it would be to start paying again?

No, not really. NI is investigating other options for the future but for now they changed the licensing terms of the Community edition to explicitly state that it is legal to use it to view existing code even if that is for a commercial application. Note the word "VIEW". It does not mean that you can modify it or use it to build a new executable without violating the license!

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 518 of 748
(1,339 Views)

@rolfk  ha scritto:

@Konan__ wrote:

No, not really. NI is investigating other options for the future but for now they changed the licensing terms of the Community edition to explicitly state that it is legal to use it to view existing code even if that is for a commercial application. Note the word "VIEW". It does not mean that you can modify it or use it to build a new executable without violating the license!

what you say implies that the community edition will follow every release of labview, otherways you can't open a 2022 Q3 VI with an older Community edition.

Is this true?

I see now LV community 2022Q3 available.

So VI saved with a licensed LV maybe are not buildable by LV-Community-Edition-Builder, but you can run the VI from development enviroinment. Is this allowed by LV community license?

0 Kudos
Message 519 of 748
(1,288 Views)

I have no idea if they will be released always at the same moment. The intention is at least to make it so, but you may have to wait sometimes a bit. Considering that it would be not very smart to upgrade to a new versions just weeks before you let your subscription lapse, this shouldn't be a huge problem though.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 520 of 748
(1,277 Views)