From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW subscription model for 2022

Solved!
Go to solution

Reminds me of that Rodney Dangerfield movie "Back to School." 

"Mr. Melon, I only have one question for you.........     in 27 parts.."

Steven Howell
Controls and Instrumentation Engineer
Jacobs Technologies
NASA Johnson Space Center
Message 491 of 748
(3,214 Views)

Ugh, I wanted to review some TestStand training modules today and found out during the chat that my Test Workflow Pro license doesn't include the training modules. I guess I needed a different bundle. If I look at my products and select that license and click on the 'View Service Information' it does say it includes 'Access Online Training'. Didn't think I really needed to read all the fine print since it was promoted as the replacement for what I had prior to the new subscription model. I am no longer going to pay for a SSP yearly. I have the media for TS2021 and LV 2021. I'll stick with that. 

Now Using LabVIEW 2019SP1 and TestStand 2019
Message 492 of 748
(3,103 Views)

I was just getting around to pushing tabview at our university physics department.  I am.....about to go the python route.  This is not going to work for us...I am sad to say this may well be the death of Lab-view's pervasive usage.  I love the software.  I am sad.  I think they are worth the money.  I don't think this is a bad way to make sure they have resources to continue to develop...but realistically there has not been that much innovation in the last decade.  And I don't think I can convince my department to foot out a 500 subscription....far less a 2700 subscription for a deployable version. 

Message 493 of 748
(2,579 Views)

I convinced my employer to get a site license over a decade ago.  I'm glad I have since retiree, and don't have to deal with the fallout that will happen as they transition licenses to rental.  My guess is that nobody will notice until budget cutbacks requires dropping the annual expense and none of the code will be accessible any more..  Scary stuff.

Message 494 of 748
(2,547 Views)

@1100fps wrote:

I convinced my employer to get a site license over a decade ago.  I'm glad I have since retiree, and don't have to deal with the fallout that will happen as they transition licenses to rental.  My guess is that nobody will notice until budget cutbacks requires dropping the annual expense and none of the code will be accessible any more..  Scary stuff.

If you had a site license, you were quite possibly on an annual lease already since the beginning!

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 495 of 748
(2,507 Views)

Today I told NI, that I am not willing to join a subcription program, in which NI can increase the pices as they want or to shutdown my software and that LabVIEW 2022 will be my last version.
I just can encourage all other guys to do the same and to not accept such a pricing model.

Message 496 of 748
(2,254 Views)

I have been teaching/using LabVIEW for nearly two decades.  This semester I will have to shift to python.  I am concerned this is going to cost NI market share.  I suspect most academics will move back to python or other alternatives.

Message 497 of 748
(2,216 Views)

I'm with you.  Made the same decision!

Message 498 of 748
(2,137 Views)

Wow, I haven't used NI's forums since 2019.  This past summer I had posted a video about the subscription model to possibly help other's avoid the same mistake I made.  Since that time I have had a few people suggest that using the Community edition is an option for my home projects and thought I would address that here.

While I have not installed Community, I did skim over the license agreement. It appeared that it required periodically contacting NI to remain active.  I have no desire to be concerned if/when NI will decide to pull the plug on the tools I use.  Obviously, LabView isn't a language that can be ported.  If LabView were to become disabled in the future, my entire code base becomes worthless.  My trust in NI has eroded over the years and this latest change didn't help matters.  

If NI reduced the cost of their subscription to $0, I still would not use it because of that lack of trust in it being around in the future.  Fool me once....  

For my home as well as professional use, the plan is to stay on the perpetual licenses until the software no longer runs.  Because we no longer use any of their hardware, what the company does is really of no relevance.  

Message 499 of 748
(1,865 Views)

Similar for us, we have cancelled all our service contracts with NI and are now switching to other programming languages. The new model is an absolute no-go.
NI has already confirmed our decision, they have just removed the Application Builder module in their new license model and this function is now only included with the expensive LabView version. Only after intensive demand / urging we got a workaround for our existing versions.

Message 500 of 748
(1,690 Views)