Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW subscription model for 2022

Solved!
Go to solution

@billko wrote:

@rolfk wrote:

@Jay14159265 wrote:

So now all LabVIEW code is proprietary and leased by NI ( because you have to pay them to even see the code ). That is not a comfortable paradigm for me so I am choosing to no longer use LabVIEW. This is why I believe you should always choose open source options, you might have to deal with licensing but it's better to own your own IP and not have to pay someone else just for the pleasure of seeing your own code.

Actually, NI has recognized that this is an unintended hinderance for using LabVIEW. They are working on solving this issue, but the exact details how that is done are not clear at the moment. It most likely will involve something like that the Evaluation version will continue to be usable to view code and maybe even execute VIs, or maybe that the Community Edition license is changed to allow use of it for viewing existing code even when it is commercial. Building executables for commercial use still will require a full license. So while the exact modus is still under investigation you can be assured that NI is working on a solution for this.

Why did it take so long for NI to realize it when it took all of us exactly thirty seconds to realize this "unintended hindrance"?  That just shows how disconnected they are from their user base.

I was at GDevCon in Amsterdam and got some similar assurances directly from Eric. I know he has taken a beating on this forum, yet I do believe him. That problem will get solved.

As to how they didn't realize this was an issue: They never asked or consulted with anyone in the community. I'm not sure they ever really were that connected to the community (at least in recent times). I can point to numerous things about NXG to illustrate that. I don't think they eat much of their own dogfood. I don't think most people making decisions at NI have ever written any LabVIEW code. They've certainly never used it to solve any real-world problems.

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
Message 461 of 732
(2,401 Views)

We went through the same bull with PTC (KepWare). We were using AutomationDirect I/O racks with the $399 license for the OPC server. Now the perpetual license is $1629 and increases almost every 6 months. Unfortunately I need to purchase it again for a duplicate job...new jobs I use other hardware now and constantly investigate new types to use. I cannot stand anything USB and prefer ethernet connections. The last cDAQ system I used failed in the field on a production machine which caused all kinds of problems. Unless a customer specifically asks for NI hardware I don't use it. As for my 25+ years of using LV, I'm learning Python now. Don't know how far I'll get, retirement may come earlier than expected. As for my current projects, staying at LV 2021. I will not be held hostage to pay a ton of money to actually look at my code a few years from now.

Message 462 of 732
(2,397 Views)

Sam, regarding your text "I don't think most people making decisions at NI have ever written any LabVIEW code". 

I wonder when that switch occurred? Back in the days, I could sense that managers at NI were skilled at technology. Anyway, the following interview with Steve Jobs might explain why this has happened; See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4VBqTViEx4 

Message 463 of 732
(2,282 Views)

@Mats_Andersson wrote:

the following interview with Steve Jobs might explain why this has happened; See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4VBqTViEx4 

It's hard to say for sure since we don't work at NI ... but that is EXACTLY what is happening here : ) 

@Mats_Andersson wrote:

Sam, regarding your text "I don't think most people making decisions at NI have ever written any LabVIEW code". 

I wonder when that switch occurred? Back in the days, I could sense that managers at NI were skilled at technology. Anyway, the following interview with Steve Jobs might explain why this has happened; See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4VBqTViEx4 

I agree 100%.

(That was exactly what i said, in my previous post in this thread)

LabVIEW could be the future... But bad management is killing it (see subscription model). It is NOT RECOMMENDED for new users.
Message 465 of 732
(2,091 Views)

Just another reason I am quickly learning Python and going to move to that platform at some point. 

Steven Howell
Controls and Instrumentation Engineer
Jacobs Technologies
NASA Johnson Space Center
Message 466 of 732
(1,910 Views)

https://investorday.ni.com

just took a short look, it is 2 hours long.

if I put on my negative head, the key points are:

- we are going for big customers only

- LabVIEW is what makes us successful

- we are not explaining why our last quarter was a financial nightmare

(note that 2022 is missing in right-top graph)

if I have time I will watch it with a positive head as well. There is some explanation given on the bad results, mentioning that this is due to chip shortage. Which I know as I am part of that business is indeed terrible at this time… so could be the reason

6909BD96-1269-46B8-AD55-5494B8F37752.jpeg

---

25+ years long fan of LabVIEW. Be aware that NI changed their business model with great impact .
Message 467 of 732
(1,814 Views)

From the "Forward Looking Statement" on the InvestorDay link above.  I'm not sure what it all means but there are a few to note:

These statements are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties, and actual results may differ materially from any future results expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements. Risks and uncertainties include without limitation: the global shortage of key components; effect of the global economic and geopolitical conditions; our international operations and foreign economies; adverse public health matters, including epidemics and pandemics such as the COVID-19 pandemic; our ability to effectively manage our partners and distribution channels; interruptions in our technology systems or cyber-attacks on our systems; the dependency of our product revenue on certain industries and the risk of contractions in such industries; concentration of credit risk and uncertain conditions in the global financial markets; our ability to compete in markets that are highly competitive; our ability to release successful new products or achieve expected returns; the risk that our manufacturing capacity and a substantial majority of our warehousing and distribution capacity are located outside of the U.S.; our dependence on key suppliers and distributors; longer delivery lead times from our suppliers; risk of product liability claims; dependence on our proprietary rights and risks of intellectual property litigation; the continued service of key management, technical personnel and operational employees; our ability to comply with environmental laws and associated costs; our ability to maintain our website; the risks of bugs, vulnerabilities, errors or design flaws in our products; our restructuring activities; our exposure to large orders; our shift to more system orders; our ability to effectively manage our operating expenses and meet budget; fluctuations in our quarterly results due to factors outside of our control; our outstanding debt; seasonal variation in our revenues; our ability to comply with laws and regulations; changes in tax rates and exposure to additional tax liabilities; our ability to make certain acquisitions or dispositions, integrate the companies we acquire or separate the companies we sold and/or enter into strategic relationships; risks related to currency fluctuations; and provisions in charter documents and Delaware law that delay or prevent our acquisition. The company directs readers to its Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2021, and the other documents it files with the SEC for other risks associated with the company’s future performance. These documents contain and identify important factors that could cause our actual results to differ materially from those contained in our forward-looking statements. All information in this presentation is as of July 28, 2022 (except as otherwise specified). We undertake no duty to update any forward-looking statement to conform the statement to actual results or changes in our expectations.  ​

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 468 of 732
(1,569 Views)

holy-run-on-sentence-batman.jpg

There is one sentence with 306 words in it.  I get about 20 words in before I forget what they are talking about.  Is this why I'm not in finance or marketing?  Maybe a bullet point list would help me organize it in my head better.  LabVIEW has taught me to be visual type of learner.

0 Kudos
Message 469 of 732
(1,550 Views)

It was the hardest paragraph I have ever read.  Copied straight from the website...

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 470 of 732
(1,538 Views)