LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW subscription model for 2022

Solved!
Go to solution

One thing I haven't seen adressed since early on (might have missed it) is this idea from NI that SaaS will allow something more like a rolling release of updates since (their words) they won't be restricted into packing enough updates into a yearly release to make a new version worth purchasing. I haven't seen any elaboration on how they plan to do this and I am very skeptical that updates will become more frequent.

Message 401 of 732
(2,598 Views)

@Taggart wrote:

from the second link

"A debug/deployment license has a one-time cost and is not affected by subscription. Once you purchase and deploy a debug/deployment license, ..."

Excactly! You have to pay for it!

Message 402 of 732
(2,578 Views)

HB@BNT wrote:

@Taggart wrote:

from the second link

"A debug/deployment license has a one-time cost and is not affected by subscription. Once you purchase and deploy a debug/deployment license, ..."

Excactly! You have to pay for it!

Yes, you do! But you only have to pay for it once (one-time cost) instead of a subscription. Would it be better if it was free - sure it would. At least they are throwing us a bone. I'm not trying to go out of my way to defend them. Just pointing out that it exists as an option.

I do have to say that is one limitation inherent in LabVIEW. If you have LabVIEW code that you want to convert to some other language (for example Python) or if you just simply want to understand what it is doing, you not only need someone who understands LabVIEW to explain what it does, but you also need a LabVIEW license of some kind ($$).

Contrast that with text-based languages. For example, if I want to look at some C#. I need someone who understands C#, but I don't necessarily need any license (ie. FREE) since it is just a text file and you can open it in any text editor to take a look at it.

I personally would still like to see a free LabVIEW Viewer. That would be nice. I'm not holding my breath on that though. If it's free, what is the incentive for NI to make it? It would be a nice thing to do, but I'm not sure I can make a business case for that, and I'm not sure that NI is interested

in building goodwill among the community at the moment (much less spending money on that).

I'm going to suggest that for presumably a low cost (I don't know much about the internals of LabVIEW, but it seems this would be the cheapest way to do it) NI could possibly just release a free version of the IDE with save disabled. That would let you browse LabVIEW code very easily and probably not cost NI a lot of money.

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
Message 403 of 732
(2,565 Views)

And do I understand it right that I have to pay 3020€ for the LabView Professional version every year to create new LabView Applications?

like shown in https://www.ni.com/de-de/shop/labview/select-edition.html

LabView 3020 Eur.png

That can not be true !!! I hope so !!! I hope so much that it is not true !!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Eugen Wiebe
Bernstein AG
CLAD - Certified LabView Associate Developer
Message 404 of 732
(2,364 Views)

That’s why there are 41 pages in this thread.

You either stick with your current perpetual license, no longer updating.

Or you pay this amount each year. The moment you don’t pay, you can’t even look at your code. Forget about making minor changes or fix bugs

three work-arounds:

- stick with current version and get a new subscription license when you really-really need it (~3 years from now…if NI still exist by then…)

- get a debug-and-deployment license after you finished your project

- (edit) as mentioned below. If you don’t have an SSP at this time, with some effort/luck you can still last-time buy a perpetual license

---

25+ years long fan of LabVIEW. Be aware that NI changed their business model with great impact .
Message 405 of 732
(2,351 Views)

It was mentioned multiple time that if you insist real hard you can still order a perpetual license, there is even a part number for this, haven't seen the price of that though.

Same for the debug/deploy license, what's the price of that compared to the subscription price?

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

Message 406 of 732
(2,350 Views)

@TiTou wrote:

It was mentioned multiple time that if you insist real hard you can still order a perpetual license, there is even a part number for this, haven't seen the price of that though.

Same for the debug/deploy license, what's the price of that compared to the subscription price?

The Debug/Deployment license is basically the same price as the Professional subscription price per here: https://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/software/products/labview.html 

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 407 of 732
(2,317 Views)

LabVIEW Professional Development System is now UK £6,675 for the perpetual license... ouch

Message 408 of 732
(2,312 Views)

I got my new quotation today, trying to sell me the subscription idea. I replied that I'll stick with my LabVIEW 2021 until further notice, and do not accept the new license model. I recomend all other LabVIEW programmers to do the same.

Martin

Message 409 of 732
(2,264 Views)

@beuvink wrote:

That’s why there are 41 pages in this thread.

You either stick with your current perpetual license, no longer updating.

Or you pay this amount each year. The moment you don’t pay, you can’t even look at your code. Forget about making minor changes or fix bugs

three work-arounds:

- stick with current version and get a new subscription license when you really-really need it (~3 years from now…if NI still exist by then…)

- get a debug-and-deployment license after you finished your project

- (edit) as mentioned below. If you don’t have an SSP at this time, with some effort/luck you can still last-time buy a perpetual license

We decided to go with option one in my company (at least in the UK offices). We're going to stick with the version we have now and investigate our options. We'll either make the transition to another language or buy back into LabVIEW when (and if) we eventually have to.

I feel quite saddened by the changes going on at NI. When I first started out with LabVIEW (Version 5) NI felt more like a partner than a supplier. Those days are definitely gone.

Message 410 of 732
(1,979 Views)