cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW subscription model for 2022

Solved!
Go to solution

@stevesteve wrote:

Back onto Labview; you can still buy the perpetual LabVIEW Professional Development System.

Part number:  776678-35WM

Available from your local NI sales rep (not online).

You already posted that! And I handed out kudos both times; so thanks! 😁

----------
Although I've been 10+ years long fan of LabVIEW, I started to discourage engineers to start new projects in a SaaS language. NI must first regain trust within its community.
Message 381 of 732
(2,079 Views)

@benjamin-hinrichs wrote:

@stevesteve wrote:

Back onto Labview; you can still buy the perpetual LabVIEW Professional Development System.

Part number:  776678-35WM

Available from your local NI sales rep (not online).

You already posted that! And I handed out kudos both times; so thanks! 😁

NI is supposed to be pushing the Debug and Deployment License for a perpetual license.  The part number is 781866-35, as seen here: LabVIEW Product Page.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 382 of 732
(2,042 Views)

So it's possible to purchase a perpetual license, but there is no license maintenance to keep current?

The question is likely academic, as we have frozen or base at V21.

Message 383 of 732
(1,942 Views)

We are also starting to hear directly from customers (research / Industrial and academic) that they are just dropping LabVIEW due to the switch to a subscription license. Most are just using Python, some are switching to MATLAB.

LabVIEW is dying right in front of our eyes. Whatever cash-flow increase NI is hoping for is going to be very short-term. If things continue like this, LabVIEW is in dire trouble.

Without exposure to LabVIEW in research, future market impact will be significant. Once Universities stop using LabVIEW internally, they stop teaching it. And if they stop teaching it, LabVIEW becomes more and more obscure. This is not a cash-flow problem at the moment, it's undermining any furture interest, a much more damaging enterprise. While I'll freely admit I'm not a sales guy, this strategy by NI seems insane.

I've even started thinking NI has been infiltrated by people from the competition pruposefully trying to destroy their market. That's how much trouble I have understanding NI's choice of course here.

Message 384 of 732
(1,852 Views)

@Intaris wrote:

I've even started thinking NI has been infiltrated by people from the competition pruposefully 

I think your thoughts went too far.

The reality, usually, is much simpler.

Those things happen, when managers, prevail. Managers who are very good at nice speeches but know very little about development and about real life.

And this usually happens when a company is getting bigger... managers prevails... and engineers voice is lost...

So NI got bigger...

...but the future is dark. Which serious engineer would select to program in a language, in which he will not have access (to his own programs!), if he will stop paying.

Message 385 of 732
(1,829 Views)

Here is a bit more to the conspiracy theory - the new PXIe DMMs no longer use VISA & SCPI as their interface, they use proprietary APIs. DMM SaaS anyone? They have already did it for their high end VNA and RF signal generators. 

0 Kudos
Message 386 of 732
(1,800 Views)

@Gribo wrote:

Here is a bit more to the conspiracy theory - the new PXIe DMMs no longer use VISA & SCPI as their interface, they use proprietary APIs. DMM SaaS anyone? They have already did it for their high end VNA and RF signal generators. 

There are actually a couple of things happening there.  NI has been fairly open that they are trying to move their drivers to a gRPC interface.  Removing the VISA interface (I didn't think they had a SCPI interface) would be a move in that direction.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 387 of 732
(1,777 Views)

Going gRPC over-complexify things when doing local dev (even more on a PXI chassis with an embedded controller).

And it breaks compatiblity with legacy code.

Adding gRPC is what they are advertising, not replacing one by the other !

CLA, CTA, LV Champion
View Cyril Gambini's profile on LinkedIn
This post is made under CC BY 4.0 DEED licensing
0 Kudos
Message 388 of 732
(1,769 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@Gribo wrote:

There are actually a couple of things happening there.  NI has been fairly open that they are trying to move their drivers to a gRPC interface.  Removing the VISA interface (I didn't think they had a SCPI interface) would be a move in that direction.

I haven't checked any of this, but my questions would be

• What is this "proprietary API" (to Gribo) and
  • Do they now have a gRPC interface?

If the current state really is a black box, and the edge of that box is not an open/discoverable system, then that's somewhat worrying.

But SCPI and VISA are functionally just interfaces to what at a lower level is a black box, so if the new interface is gRPC, then I'd put that in the "no change here" box... (maybe even an improvement, since I'm not sure how discoverable SCPI/VISA have to be, and I think gRPC protocols have at least a chance of being "self-documenting" (so long as it's not hidden inside something less transparent...)

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 389 of 732
(1,762 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 390 of 732
(1,688 Views)