LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW subscription model for 2022

Solved!
Go to solution

OpenCV + EMGU is a good start for LV applications. Not all of the OpenCV capabilities will be available (mainly CUDA acceleration), but it is a good enough baseline for many computer vision applications.

Message 351 of 732
(1,854 Views)

@1100fps wrote:

Is there any vision platform out there the integrates well / easily with LabVIEW? I'm open to suggestions.  I'll be having long conversations with vendors at the Boston Vision Show in October, and maybe put in a call to my buddy at Graftek, so see what he thinks.

I initially really liked the NI Vision Builder since it allowed me to play around with all the tools in a wizard-like environment and then convert the whole thing to LabVIEW to make a real app out of it.  Unfortunately every time we tried to do any serious vision analysis, NI-Vision was WAY too slow.  In an app that calculated the camera angle (perspective) by imaging a simple grid of lines NI-Vision took a couple minutes.  Re-writing the analysis in C++ (with OpenCV) and using the DLL performed the calculation in a couple seconds making the app usable.

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
Message 352 of 732
(1,839 Views)

Interesting.  I have been watching OpenCV and OpenMV for a while.  EMGU is new to me.  Extremely interesting. The price of a commercial license looks to be extremely reasonable.  this is a rabbit hole worth diving into.

thanks!

Robert

Message 353 of 732
(1,835 Views)

Looks like the subscription model is having a negative impact at universities. See the notice "Changes to the University LabVIEW License" from the University of Manchester. The short version is they've paid up the 3yr subscription at the current rate, but may not renew come 2025 due to the significant price increase. Access to LabVIEW for staff and students has also been limited with the new licensing scheme.

After the end of the current license period (28/05/2025) the cost for the LabVIEW license will increase significantly (this affects all UK universities, not just our University) with negotiations with the vendor on-going. The University is considering options and there is a risk that the University might not renew the licence in its current form (or at all) beyond 2025.

NI used to fall over themselves trying to get a foot in the door at educational institutions, only to turn around and slam it in their faces. It's such a shame to see this happening.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
0 Kudos
Message 354 of 732
(1,597 Views)

@MichaelBalzer wrote:

Looks like the subscription model is having a negative impact at universities. See the notice "Changes to the University LabVIEW License" from the University of Manchester. The short version is they've paid up the 3yr subscription at the current rate, but may not renew come 2025 due to the significant price increase. Access to LabVIEW for staff and students has also been limited with the new licensing scheme.

After the end of the current license period (28/05/2025) the cost for the LabVIEW license will increase significantly (this affects all UK universities, not just our University) with negotiations with the vendor on-going. The University is considering options and there is a risk that the University might not renew the licence in its current form (or at all) beyond 2025.

NI used to fall over themselves trying to get a foot in the door at educational institutions, only to turn around and slam it in their faces. It's such a shame to see this happening.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but that seems rather short-sighted. I get that NI isn't making a bunch of money off universities, but those students are what's filling the pipeline of new developers. If you make it harder for them to get a hold of LabVIEW, they are just going to turn to Python. Not sure that is in NI's best interests long-term. Certainly not in the best interest of LabVIEW and the LabVIEW community.

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
Message 355 of 732
(1,577 Views)

Dr Truchard's NI had a 100 years plan and I remember when "LabVIEW everywhere" badges were distributed at NIWeek.

Of course that was more than 20 years ago.

Message 356 of 732
(1,544 Views)

I heard that they are now preparing 'LabVIEW anywhere?' badges...

---

25+ years long fan of LabVIEW. Be aware that NI changed their business model with great impact .
Message 357 of 732
(1,534 Views)

When you read the whole article, they also say that all students and teachers should remove their LV installtion from their personnal PC.

But can't they use LabVIEW home edition instead ? => Full free on their personnal PC... and the work could be transfered on the unversity's PCs whithout problems I guess (unless they use specific libs that are not bundled into the Home Edition).

So maybe at the end, the university would need less seats and that would cost less, or the same price as before ?

Not a fan at all of NI's subscription model, but I wonder if in that case, things were explained correctly to the university ?!

For all the other remarks, I fully agree : students should be encouraged ti use LV, not the other way around !

If students cannot get their hands in LV code, it will affect the whole industry since people qualified (AND/OR INTERESTED IN) LabVIEW won't be available on the job market.

CLA, CTA, LV Champion
View Cyril Gambini's profile on LinkedIn
This post is made under CC BY 4.0 DEED licensing
0 Kudos
Message 358 of 732
(1,491 Views)

Home edition requires a license, and community edition excludes academic work.

Presumably the workaround is to use remote desktop or similar to a work-owned desktop or similar, which I suspect will be where I might find myself in the future.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 359 of 732
(1,480 Views)

Indeed, you are right ! 

From NI's website : 'LabVIEW Community edition is not for use at degree-granting institutions such as universities, vocational schools, and certification programs'.

Damn ! So bad move from NI !

CLA, CTA, LV Champion
View Cyril Gambini's profile on LinkedIn
This post is made under CC BY 4.0 DEED licensing
Message 360 of 732
(1,475 Views)