From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW simulated drivers - WiMAX

Hi Everyone,

I am new to LabVIEW ... and I am trying to understand the extent of the functionality of the simulated drivers.    Do these drivers generate some random test data that can be used to drive the analysis stage when developing new VIs without the hardware?  

Also, I am interested in the WiMAX toolkit ... does anyone know who to create a simulated driver for the PXIe-5663 and PXIe-5673 ? I would like to evaluate the toolkit before we look to acquire the hardware.  I have downloaded the full Feb 2013 drivers and installed all the RFSA and RFSG drivers which I understand influences which drivers you can simulate.    Under MAX, I only see lower series 5600 hardware (RF downconverter, etc) but no vector signal analyzers, etc.   How would I get the 5663/5673 modules to appear under the RF devices group in the simulated driver option of MAX?

Thanks in advance !

Mike 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,492 Views)

Hi Mike,

I'm going to go at these in reverse order, to simulate the 5663 you have to simulate each part and then configure them as one device. So you would follow step 2 here to simulate a device and choose the 5601, 5652, and 5622 under the RF Devices heading, After that you have to go through Associating the Devices in MAX and you should be all set for measurements.

As for the data that you'll be receiving back, the simulated devices will generally read in a fake sine waveform for the AI channels and digital ports will count up, for instance going 0 to 255 for an 8 channel port. That way you see varying data that will let to do some analysis and make sure the software works. With a configured simulated VSA like the one I described creating above, you'll see a two tone signal around your configured center frequency. So if you are going to test with the WiMAX toolkit you won't necessarily be able to get a simulation of real data, but you should be able to make modifications to the example programs to see if they would throw any errors during operation, and once the real hardware arrives you can test the code for validity.

I hope that helps and let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification on anything above.

Best Regards,

Peter W.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,462 Views)

Hi there,

Thank you for the response !

I have 5601 and 5652 in MAX under simulated devices but not 5622.   I have installed many of the Feb 2013 drivers but what do I need to do get 5622 to show up in MAX under simulated devices?    

Now for the 5673, which parts comprise this generator?  and which driver group in the Feb 2013 drives would I need to ensure these components are avaialble for selection under the simulated driver wizard of MAX?

As for the WiMAX toolkit, there is a wimax_demo_set project ... so can you use this project to demo WiMAX and LabVIEW functionality without the hardware by using 5663/5673 instruments?

(However, this project has a warning - "In Range & Coerce has both signed and unsigned inputs")

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,442 Views)

Hi Mike,

For the PXIe-5622 you will need the NI-Scope driver, 4.0 is the most recent version. Unfortunately you can't simulate the generation hardware for the 5673.

You should be able to use the analysis examples with the simulated 5663 though. What example are you referring to? I'm not seeing that in the hierarchy that installed with the toolkit, did you pull it from somewhere online?

Best Regards,

Peter Williams

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,425 Views)

Hi Everyone,

I'm a Russian student, so sorryfor my bad english. I'm also new to LabVIEW and I'm trying to work with WiMAX toolkits. I kind figured out with the Signal Generation Toolkit, at least errors doesn't occur. But when I run the Signal Analysis Toolkit have an next error: Maximum time exceeded before the operation completed (Status code - 200221). What is the reason?

Thanks for the advance!

Pavel

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,382 Views)

Hi Pavel,

Can you tell us specifically what hardware you are using? Are you using a digitizer or scope in RIS (Random Interleave Sampling) mode? If so, the document below may be very useful for you.

Digitizer Timeout in RIS Mode During Fetch Function

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/3A89A2325AE74A37862578EE005D40AE

If you are using a digitizer and not using RIS then you might also find this document useful:

Error -1074126845: Maximum Time Exceeded Before the Operation completed.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/820E994660A4B83C862577C7007A3789

Please let us know if you are using different hardware or if the above documents do not help. If that is the case can you post a screenshot of the error you are seeing so that we can know the full error code and the VI at which the error occured?

Best regards,

Kaitlin N.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,363 Views)

Hi Kaitlin N!

Thank you for your advice! It's very useful for me.

I have a PXTe-5663E as Signal Analyzer, that includes PXIe-5622 Digitizer and PXIe-5673E as Signal Generator. I realized, that problem in self-calibration of digitizer and now I have to do the calibration of digitizer as described here:

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/372023c.pdf

Also at the first link describes about RIS Method. Is it necessary to change this attribute to "incoplete"? And how it to do in WiMAX Toolkit?

Thanks for the advance!

Pavel

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,352 Views)

Hi Pavel,

Sorry for the delay in response. We had a problem getting some of the forums through our system for the past couple weeks. Were you able to resolve the issue by calibrating the device?

You should only have to set the attribute to incomplete if you are seeing the error when using your digitizer in Random Interleave Sampling mode. This property node comes with the NI-Scope driver, not with the WiMAX Toolkit.

Please let me know if you are still seeing the issue, and also if you are aware if you are trying to use RIS mode.

Best regards,

Kaitlin N.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Message 8 of 11
(3,301 Views)

Hi Kaitlin N!

Thank you for your advice again!

I don't have access to the equipment now. In September, continue to work and write about the results.

Pavel

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,262 Views)

Hi Kaitlin N!

Sorry for the long delay. Everything works well. But I have a new question. Now the generator and analyzer connected by sma-to-sma cable. Is it possible to create a wireless connection between generator and analyzer? What does it require?

Thanks for the advance!

Pavel

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,192 Views)