From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW on core M processor

Solved!
Go to solution
Hi everyone, I want to buy a lightweight and long battery life and i found a lot very good laptop with core M processors. But i doubt the performance of these CPUs. I am not a professional software guy but mainly focused on electronics and optics. Most of the time i use labview as a general programming tools to communicate with hard wares through serial port/spi/ethernet. sometimes i will do offline data processing like fitting/array processing. Is there anyone tried labview on laptops with core m cpu like asus ux305? is there any problem? thanks a lot!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,056 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chengxian

It will install and run fine for light LabVIEW use, things will just take longer than if you had a more powerful machine - especially if you are doing a lot of data processing. Perhaps more importantly - if you are connecting hardware, you need to be aware of how many USB / Ethernet ports the laptop has. You'll need a USB port for a USB to Serial adapter and the UX305 doesn't look like it has an ethernet port so you would need a USB to Ethernet as well. Some USB devices don't play well with USB hubs either.

Personally as a LabVIEW professional, I wouldn't do any development on a laptop with anything less than an i5 processor, 8GB RAM. I would also prefer an SSD and an external monitor/KB/mouse. LabVIEW with a touchpad is not fun.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,013 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chengxian

I have an old P3 256Meg RAM Windows XP system here in the lab that except for haveing to disable SSE extentions with building an exicutible, runs LabVIEW just fine. 

Core M should be more than enough power

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 3 of 5
(2,989 Views)

Thank you Sam! I will increase my budget a bit to get a better one.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,898 Views)

Thank you RTSLVU!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,897 Views)