LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW on Raspberry Pi 3

@GerdW wrote:

Hi  bestecf,

why don't you write ALL your requirements on a sheet of paper before asking here?

With every suggestion you answer with a new requirement…

It must be free permanently for my project.

Who says so?

When you want to run an LVEXE on your RasPi you need to use that TSXperts crosscompiler. I guess it's (much) cheaper than to develop your own compiler…

And if you find a way to run a LabVIEW exe on the Raspberry PI, in a permanently free way, and open source (to me at least), I personally pay you the $599 (limited offer).

I am actively looking for the exact same thing. More as a challenge then as a business case.

If it where a business case, I'd pay TSXperts in a heartbeat. No way you can get that functionality within a day or two.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 68
(2,483 Views)

@bestecf wrote:

@Yamaeda wrote:

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/sv/nid/212478

Installing MakerHub Linx was done previously. But it is not a solution. I should install .exe file to Raspberry Pi. 

Isn't an EXE by definition an x86 based binary?  Are you running some kind of emulator or VM on the Pi?  If not then it is impossible to run an EXE on an ARM based processor.  What I'm getting at is aren't giving a reason why Linx isn't a solution.  If it is that you don't have a UI running then again make that a requirement.  But even if that is the case it is possible to have a web hosted UI that is running on localhost.  Not sure the complexity involved in making that work but it would be alot less complicated than making your own new compiler.

Message 22 of 68
(2,466 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@bestecf wrote:

@Yamaeda wrote:

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/sv/nid/212478

Installing MakerHub Linx was done previously. But it is not a solution. I should install .exe file to Raspberry Pi. 

Isn't an EXE by definition an x86 based binary?  Are you running some kind of emulator or VM on the Pi?  If not then it is impossible to run an EXE on an ARM based processor.  

Qemu, chrooting and (not free) Exagear shout be able to run a x86 Linux application on ARM. Wine could provide a Windows simulation.

All three methods have been successfully used to run Windows programs (even Windows itself, 3.11) but AFAIK, not LabVIEW.

EDIT: I have not even started experimenting with this, but I'd probably start with LabVIEW for Linux, and probably LabVIEW 4 or 5 executables, as it's orders of magnitudes smaller then recent versions.

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 68
(2,453 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote: 

EDIT: I have not even started experimenting with this, but I'd probably start with LabVIEW for Linux, and probably LabVIEW 4 or 5 executables, as it's orders of magnitudes smaller then recent versions.

Oh Wine is probably a good one to try.  Yes the LabVIEW 5 EXEs don't require a runtime so that makes things easier (or rather the runtime is embedded in the EXE so it doesn't have to be installed).  But that means no event structure, and many missing LabVIEW features.  I suggest LabVIEW 7.1 if you don't want to install the runtime.  All that is needed in 7.1 is to make the EXE, then copy away some DLLs and files in the same folder as the EXE and it runs without having to install a runtime engine.  Of course there are several solutions to getting Wine on the Pi, and I'm betting one of them would probably be able to install the LabVIEW 201x runtime and run your EXE.  I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier, I researched Wine on Pi before and just never went down that path.  When I got Wine running on the Linux RT I was quite surprised at how well it implements support for things like installers so it could actually work.  I think I have a spare Pi zero, but no time to test it out, and it isn't really something I could justify trying at work since there is no chance work would allow me to develop a Pi based embedded system running Wine...maybe for display only purposes...?

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 68
(2,444 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote: 

Oh Wine is probably a good one to try.  Yes the LabVIEW 5 EXEs don't require a runtime so that makes things easier (or rather the runtime is embedded in the EXE so it doesn't have to be installed).  But that means no event structure, and many missing LabVIEW features.  I suggest LabVIEW 7.1 if you don't want to install the runtime.  All that is needed in 7.1 is to make the EXE, then copy away some DLLs and files in the same folder as the EXE and it runs without having to install a runtime engine.  Of course there are several solutions to getting Wine on the Pi, and I'm betting one of them would probably be able to install the LabVIEW 201x runtime and run your EXE.  I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier, I researched Wine on Pi before and just never went down that path.  When I got Wine running on the Linux RT I was quite surprised at how well it implements support for things like installers so it could actually work.  I think I have a spare Pi zero, but no time to test it out, and it isn't really something I could justify trying at work since there is no chance work would allow me to develop a Pi based embedded system running Wine...maybe for display only purposes...?

Wine alone won't do, it only emulates the Windows APIs, not the CPU. So Qemu or chrooting is probably needed as well. Exagear does chrooting as well, but their solution is much more efficient then pure chrooting (or so it's been said online by people that actually tried). I'd fisrt try a Linux exe, as it seems one step less as at least the OS is compatible.

Do you have anything sharable about the Linux RT\Wine solution? Was that a Linux RT x86 or ARM system?

I find documentation on all that Linux stuff is rather fluffy. It's often more a reference, and finding out up front what it does and if it does what is needed is to find...

I've asked local Linux experts before, but usually their expertise is admin stuff, not cross platform development.

We might actually get somewhere Smiley Very Happy.

There is actually a RPi-Qemu-Wine solution online: https://github.com/AlbrechtL/RPi-QEMU-x86-wine. Haven't build the guts to try it.

Another though is to install Window IoT on the RPi. Not sure if that gets us anywhere, not even Windows would be able to run x86 Windows aps on the ARM, but maybe Qemu for Windows can...

Message 25 of 68
(2,437 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote: 

Do you have anything sharable about the Linux RT\Wine solution? Was that a Linux RT x86 or ARM system?

https://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-Linux-Real-Time-Documents/Installing-Wine-run-Windows-EXEs-on-x86-x64-Co...

It is x64 binaries only at the moment.  I tried to get 32-bit binaries, but ran into all kinds of other missing things that I had a hard time getting to work.  I never tried a LabVIEW 64-bit binary, I just figured if you were wanting to run LabVIEW on an embedded Linux RT target you would just run the VI instead of trying to run the Windows EXE.

Message 26 of 68
(2,431 Views)

Maybe you can get the Windows on ARM with x86 emulation targeted for the elusive Andromeda device and you should be able to run native windows programs on it, maybe even LV.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 68
(2,429 Views)

Wow did anyone else know that there is a full blown Windows 10 designed to run on ARM and Pi?  I think this is the easiest solution for OP...assuming Windows 10 is free for these devices, or they don't mind paying for it.

https://www.worproject.ml/

Message 28 of 68
(2,420 Views)

Interesting. 

Step by step of a build and test in QEMU, including some links to images: https://withinrafael.com/2018/02/11/boot-arm64-builds-of-windows-10-in-qemu/

Still not sure if LabVIEW or any other Windows software would run this way, but it would be cool if it did. 

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 68
(2,403 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

Wow did anyone else know that there is a full blown Windows 10 designed to run on ARM and Pi?  I think this is the easiest solution for OP...assuming Windows 10 is free for these devices, or they don't mind paying for it.

https://www.worproject.ml/

I'm not sure how this is different from Windows IoT. Perhaps it's the same? It does require "A Windows 10 ARM64 image".

AFAIK, Windows IoT is free (as well?). Not sure why this is better or worse.

Note that this only runs Windows. It doesn't say anywhere that it will run x86 applications. It probably won't.

All this is the reason MS started to port everything to .NET. .NET isn't compiled, or at least not to CPU commands. So it will run on ARM and x86. That makes it even more sad that NXG is written in .NET, but is only supported on Windows Intel... A missed opportunity, IMHO.

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 68
(2,389 Views)