From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW not running when "Display user message" appears. Is there away around this?

Hello,

I'm currently building a state machine that identifies failures in compressors.  I've made a message box appear when it detects a compressor failure, but I’m running four test stands.  Which means I have four test stands in one loop.

When this event occurs, LabVIEW freezes and waits until the User has hit the Ok, button.   I would like the program to continue to run while the text box appears or at least start back up rather quickly once it appears.   Is there any way to do this, because I have no clue?  Thank you for your help, or even at least reading this.

Regards,

Ryan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,417 Views)
The easiest thing to do would be to not use the dialog box at all. If it's just to display a failure message, you can have a string indicator/listbox/table on the front panel for your status display. If the user doesn't have to do anything when a failure occurs, you really don't need a pop-up with an OK button that needs to be clicked.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,414 Views)
Thank you for your help Dennis

Ok, yeah, you are correct.  The user does not need to do anything when a failure occurs.  I was just doing it to prompt the user so that they know that a Failure has occurred and what to do about it.  I guess this information will just need to be placed into the user manual.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,409 Views)
Both of these are bad options from a user interface point of view. You can use a call by reference node to open up a custom-designed window (really a vi front panel) that gives the user the information AND you can keep data collection going on in the background.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,394 Views)
Use attached VI with the IsAsync? input set to True if you need to display a message box without freezing the execution of the code.
Please notice that this is a "Windows only" solution.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,375 Views)