From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW not recognizing ELVIS II+

I'm in my second electronics class (Measurement and Instrumentation). I, fortunately, noticed this problem the first week and the project is due by the  end of next week. The task is to build a digital thermometer and build a front panel in LabVIEW. The first part is done and easy, but I cannot find a way to get LabVIEW to recognize the ELVIS. The instructions say to go to Controls and there will be a "Measurement I/O" tab to access the ELVIS instruments. But it isn't there. 

I went to Help > Find instrument drivers... >

and then looked at the connected instruments, it says <no connected instruments detected>. But I can pull up the DMM and VPS controls from the ELVIS instrument launcher. So I know it works outside LabVIEW. How do I get lab view to recognize the ELVIS as a connected instrument?

I'm using the following:

NI ELVIS II+

Labview 2017 (32-bit)

ELVISmx 17.0 

I installed Labview first. I actually wiped everything and did a fresh/clean install since I was using old versions of the software before now (just the 2015 editions that came with the discs). Happy to uninstall or reinstall anything as long as it works, but I've reinstalled a couple times. But it seems like there should be just a really small driver or module I can put into LabVIEW to fix this... is that correct?

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,936 Views)

I haven't used ELVIS but when you install ELVISmx check if there is a LabVIEW 2017 API feature so that the LabVIEW API will be installed and added to the palettes. If you have LabVIEW already installed then typically the installer will do this for you automatically but it can't hurt to check.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,918 Views)

Is there a way to check to see if the API has been installed without uninstalling everything first?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,911 Views)

There is a single installer / uninstaller for all NI Software. Going through this will give you the list of what is currently installed and I would expect the API to show up in the list (if it was installed).

The fact it's not in your palettes indicates it wasn't though.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,905 Views)

I don't see it in the list for the LabVIEW installer... one thing that does show up is the attached dialogue box when installing lab view... but if you're supposed to install labview first, then what do I point this to for the drivers? Or is it handled later when I install the ELVISmx?

I can't seem to find what to point it to that will allow me to click "Install Support". I even tried installing ELVIXmx first on one run through... and to no avail.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,891 Views)

This dialogue appears expecting to get the device drivers disc(s) (eg here) as this installation set contains the most frequently used device drivers. It does not include ELVISmx.

You should be able to ignore this dialogue and then install ELVISmx 17.0 after the LV installation. Try un-installing / re-installing ELVISmx and post the installation dialogues here.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,872 Views)

I'd just un/re installed everything last night. I ignored that one that we talked about and did the ELVISmx 17.0 right after, and same result. It can't find it in LV.

What do you mean by post the dialogues? Like screenshot every one of them? I can't find an installer log file if that's what you mean. I didn't see any errors, and on the last run through, I basically installed everything I could possibly select.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,861 Views)

OK, I reinstalled everything again. Just for fun, I tried doing ELVISmx first, no change. Then I uninstalled and did it in the preferred order, LV then ELVISmx.Still no change, it just won't see the board. Here are the save files from the installer:

LabVIEW 2017

Upgrading

• National Instruments system components

Adding or Changing

• NI LabVIEW 2017
  • Database Connectivity Toolkit
  • Report Generation Toolkit for Microsoft Office
  • VI Package Manager 2017
  • NI Measurement & Automation Explorer 17.0

Installer Prompts

You will be prompted to provide the source for the following installers:

• National Instruments Device Drivers

ELVISmx 17.0

Upgrading

• National Instruments system components

Adding or Changing

• NI ELVISmx 17.0
  • NI-DAQmx 17.0

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,846 Views)

Here's the screenshot from the LV driver finder screen. It doesn't show ELVISmx is installed, but it clearly is because I can use the Instrument Launcher to use the board. So how can I get LV to recognize that it's there??

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,844 Views)

I'm afraid I don't know enough about the ELVIS board and its integration to help you much further. I recommend contacting your local NI support.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,835 Views)