From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW needs more memory to compile VI - 2009 SP1

Hi Jared,

How can I find out about the progress of the ticket into R&D?

Thx,

Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 27
(1,268 Views)

Thanks for the tip about ctrl+run ... that worked for me!!   When I got the "labview needs more memory to compile" error,  I Googled it and this discussion was the first result. 

Thanks again!

Jon (on LabView 11 x64)

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 27
(1,068 Views)

I had the same problem trying to open some older LV code in LabVIEW 2011.  The code opens and I can see the diagrams, etc, but have a broken run arrow with the "needs more memory to compile" message when I try to run it.

The solution (which was not at all obvious) was that I needed to install the LabVIEW 7.1.1 runtime engine.  I'm guessing that there is something in my VI that was originally written in 7.1.1 and has had the block diagram removed, preventing it from recompiling in anything newer (maybe an NI toolkit -- hint hint! you IMAQ people!).  Adding the older runtime engine, then doing the shift-ctrl-ClickTheRunArrow worked for me.

Perhaps someone from NI can shed more light on why this is?

Joe Gerhardstein
Viasat
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Developer
Certified Professional Instructor
http://www.viasat.com
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 27
(1,036 Views)

Hi Joe,

I just checked into that bug report and it seems like your intuition is correct.  The "needs more memory to compile" should not apply in this case as the VI's are not large enough to overflow the memory.  It seems that the problem is with a corrupted block diagram.  Most users have been able to resolve this issue by either installing an older version of the LabVIEW (like you did), reverting the VI to an older version, or by deleting and re-creating the corrupted VI.  Some of the issues stem from individual blocks within a VI and can be fixed by finding the part of code in error (a property node in one case), deleting it and then replacing it with a new one.  I'm sorry these have been an issue for you, I'm glad to hear that the older version of the run-time engine was able to get your program running.

David B

Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 27
(1,017 Views)

I have a 6.0 vi that I need to pull forward to V2010 or V2011. Same memory problem. How can I install an earlier run time engine to see if it solves the "needs more memory problem"?

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 27
(983 Views)

I discovered the solution to my problem.

I had a broken strip chart. Not sure, but possibly the history length was bad. It was set to 10240000 rather than a more reasonable number. I could not copy the strip chart as it would deliver the memory error when I tried a windows copy function. I recreated the strip chart, reset the X and Y parameters, deleted the original strip chart and finally the error cleared.

Lesson:  Try copying each front panel feature. You may find your problem. Good Luck,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 27
(972 Views)

To install older runtime engines, go to 

http://www.ni.com/downloads/

and type something like "LabVIEW runtime 6" into the search box.  Download the appropriate version and install.  From my experience the runtime engines all play nice with each other and with the development environments, so you can have as many runtimes installed as you want.

Joe Gerhardstein
Viasat
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Developer
Certified Professional Instructor
http://www.viasat.com
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 27
(955 Views)