From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW needs more memory to compile VI - 2009 SP1

I have just today upgraded from 8.6.1 to LabVIEW 2009 SP1.  Most of my code works fine, except for one program.  When loaded, it is broken, with the error "LabVIEW needs more memory to compile VI".  It loads and runs fine in 8.6.1, and the VI memory usage is nothing unusual:

Front Panel Objects: 71.9K

Block Diagram Objects:442.8K

Data: 63.9K

I have a 4GB machine running Vista, and nothing else loaded, so plenty of memory available.

Any ideas?

Greg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 27
(5,403 Views)
What's in the code? Classes? XControls? Shared Variables? ActiveX? CINs? DLLs? .NET? ....
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 27
(5,388 Views)

None of the above!  It's a fairly simple program to iteratively solve an oxygen diffusion equation.  It uses an event-based producer-consumer design, and has a single cluster containing an image and a few 2D arrays and some constants - only thing which is slightly unusual is that most of these variables have units defined.

I'm just not sure where to start tracking it down - do I randomly delete parts of the code until it compiles, or is there a debugging or analysis tool that would help?  I may try installing 2009 (not SP1) on another machine to see which version causes the code to fail.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 27
(5,359 Views)

Have you tried holding the Control key while clicking on the Run arrow to force a full recompilation?

Can you upload the VI?

Message 4 of 27
(5,347 Views)
Yep, already tried Ctrl-Run, and Ctrl-Shift-Run.  I've packaged it into an LLB, version 8.6.1.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 27
(5,337 Views)

You may not be using any of the items I had mentioned, but you are using IMAQ. Smiley Wink

When I tried to load the top-level VI I got a Memory Full error 45 with Vision.lvlib:ZoomFit "An error happened while updating the VI's fonts". Which makes no sense to me since I don't see any special fonts being used by that VI. Can you open that VI? I wasn't able to.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 27
(5,329 Views)

Yes I wondered if IMAQ might be the problem!  I have no problems opening ZoomFit - here's the block diagram:

Vision.lvlib_ZoomFit_BD.png

I wonder if the problem is with typecasting the reference - I've noticed strange things with this before. The type ends up as "Plugin DDO Control Refnum", but I can't seem to create (or pass) a strict reference of this type.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 27
(5,324 Views)

Greg,

I'm can't open ZoomFit either.  Try recreating that VI in a brand new one and see if you still have problems.  What's on the Front Panel of ZoomFit.vi?  Is there anything special? 

Jared S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 27
(5,276 Views)

Strange - I have no problems loading this in 8.6 or 2009.  I've just recreated it in LabVIEW 8.6.1.  Here it is, also attached.  The only things on the front panel are a generic Control Reference and Error terminals.

ZoomFit.png

If I delete this from the main program, I still don't get it to compile.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 27
(5,267 Views)
Still can't open the VI.  I think it might be because I don't have any of our Vision software on my computer.  I'm going to check that on someone else's computer.
Jared S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 27
(5,246 Views)