LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW moving things around on block diagram between different computers

Solved!
Go to solution

We have a site license here at my work, and I use multiple computers to develop and deploy our test code. However, I have discovered that between computers, often things get moved around on the block diagram by simply opening them up on different computers. Primarily text fields. We have some text fields next to rows of a block diagram array that are alliged with the array rows on one computer, while the same, unmodified code when opened on another PC all of the text fields are compressed vertically so they no longer allign with the rows of the array. What would be causing this, and is there any way to fix it?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,325 Views)

It could be that the application font is different on different computers.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,316 Views)

You are probably working with different OS's.  XP on one machine, Win 7 on another, ....

See this recent thread that is related  http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Text-size-in-compiled-exe-file-changes-tutorial-needed/m-p/3286654#M... (There are other threads in the past talking about this as well.)

The secret is to not use any system or application fonts in your VI's.  Define all your controls and text, and block diagram font to use a specific font such as Tahoma or Segoe.  The default LabVIEW settings use symbolic fonts which get their values from the .ini file, which by default gets its settings from the OS.  Microsoft in their infinite wisdom decided to change fonts between Windows versions, and enlarged them by a point size in the more recent versions.

Message 3 of 4
(3,310 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RyanG_EE

Thanks for the responses. It was the font size that was the issue. However, although I tried to change the default Application Font size (per the "default font" settings from "Changing Text Characteristics") to match the computers that were displaying "properly" it wasn't fixing the problem. I eventually figured out that I had to change the system font from the Options>Environment>Fonts>Applicaion Font menu from the front "Open/Create" screen, then completely restart LabVIEW. Problem solved.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,285 Views)