LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW migration to NXG Vs 2017

Dear NI,

Its happy to see the release of LabVIEW next generation, I haven't explore or started working much on it.

Please clarify whether we will be getting LabVIEW 2018 or its going to be NXG 3.0 and so on ?

Since our current development is in LabVIEW 2015, If LabVIEW 2018 is not going to be release its better to migrate to NXG than LabVIEW 2017.

Thanks & Regards

Varaprasath M
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,988 Views)

Hi Varaprasath,

"standard" LabVIEW and NXG will run in parallel for the next several years…

(Did you call your local NI sales rep?)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 5
(3,975 Views)

"Classic" LabVIEW and NGX are going to have parallel development until NXG meets the feature parity of "classic".  Last I heard, that plan is 5 years out (heard of it being pushed out).  But at that point the plan was to have major bug and driver updates for "classic" for another 5 years.  This information is a little old and I do not work for NI, so do not take this as set in stone.

But my point is that you will have plenty of notice before "classic" LabVIEW is considered obsolete.

Spoiler
"Classic" and "Current" are the two terms I have heard for what you currently know as LabVIEW.  Since things will eventually go all NGX, I prefer "classic".

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 3 of 5
(3,953 Views)

Yes as others have said the classic, or current LabVIEW is probably what you want.  I don't have any inside information on what NXG 3.0 is going to look like but I suspect there won't be feature parity with current LabVIEW by then, and as a result I don't intend on migrating any existing projects to it.  I do see myself using NXG for a few small projects, in areas where it does things that current LabVIEW has difficulties with.

Message 4 of 5
(3,900 Views)

Thank you all for the valuable comments.

Thanks & Regards

Varaprasath M
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,829 Views)