cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW in Industry

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I understand that LabVIEW is widley used in academica, but could someone please provide some specific examples of its use in well-known businesses or applicaitons? 

Thank you!

Mark

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(9,085 Views)

Go to the case studies page, you will find plenty of examples written by users.

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(9,065 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author McguMark

The list is exhaustive.  Let's try a few.

Spacecraft: Virgin and SpaceX use LabVIEW.

Science- did you ever hear of the "Large Hadron Collider?" How about Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?

Getting on a train anytime soon? Positive Train Control radio systems are all tested with LabVIEW 

How about making that train?  If it isn't grown, it is mined!  Mining equipment runs on LabVIEW! 

OK time for lunch.  Did you get nice, clean dishes and flatware from the server?  How do you think that those scientists tested the formulations used in the dishwasher?

So, getting in a automobile?  Yup, lots of those parts have been tested with LabVIEW.

Don't worry, the EMTs that are going to show up after you are shocked by this thread, have all sorts of gizmos, tested with LabVIEW, to get you to a hospital and maybe the operating room.  Where, it doesn't matter which manufacturer, they all use LabVIEW an implantable device with sustain your life.

If that is not enough, look at ATK. Those "Smart" munitions are tested with LabVIEW too.

In summary, I can bet dollars to doughnuts that you have or will use something TODAY that I personally, have used LabVIEW to get to you.  Many other uses exist.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 3 of 17
(9,044 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

The list is exhaustive

How about making that train?  If it isn't grown, it is mined!  Mining equipment runs on LabVIEW! 

I forgot to mention.  If it is not mined, it is grown!  Smart farming applications run with LabVIEW too!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(9,034 Views)

Lots of production and/or development tests are made through LV. E.g. Ericsson, Electrolux, SCA, Volvo cars, Volvo trucks to mention a few.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(8,966 Views)

Railroad black boxes - also tested with LabVIEW.  Lockheed Martin uses LabVIEW to test a lot of their space-level products, as well as critical military equipment.  (But then, some of them are still tested with HP-BASIC, so go figure.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(8,918 Views)

My list is not as exhaustive as Jeff's, but still...

• With TestStand used to test the avionics for the Delta, Atlas, and Ares rockets
  • UI for manually testing command receivers for the Delta rocket on the pad (I got to walk underneath a Delta II while installing one of these test racks)
  • Data processing of flight data for jet engines (one of those cases where no hardware interface is involved with LabVIEW, just pure software)
  • Control system for testing how a jet engine handles icing while in flight
  • Control system for making sure a jet engine's "Jesus Nut" is properly installed (multi-million dollars lost due to this test failure, which is why I was brought in)
  • Control system for making sure a car's radiator was properly crimped (accelerometer used to detect cracking)
  • With TestStand to test RF amplifiers (saved the company weeks of testing time with one small test and with more data)
  • Testing of medication injectors to be used at hospitals (specifically the MRI and CAT Scan rooms)
  • Condition monitoring of power generators to detect shorts and allow for the power company to schedule a down time instead of having an emergency shutdown (which is VERY expensive)

That is probably all I am allowed to talk about. I am now doing some testing of some really cool stuff.

There is also an NI ad floating around youtube where they point to almost everything somebody uses on a daily basis and mention that it was tested with LabVIEW code.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 7 of 17
(8,873 Views)

I process a lot of stuff for the Aerospace industry using LabVIEW.  Don't smoke in an airplane lavatory, or the cargo bay, or the electronics bay...  Lots of sensors on aircraft & ground vehicles.  Lots of LabVIEWs everywhere.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(8,863 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

So, getting in a automobile?  Yup, lots of those parts have been tested with LabVIEW.

Let me expand on this a bit just because I feel this one-liner just isn't enough.  Engineering and building a car is extremely complicated.  Down to every screw, wire, bolt, and piece of plastic.  Every thing is engineered designed, tested and built to some specification that the OEM puts out.  Modern cars have about 100 ECUs alone.  These are mini embedded computers running dedicated tasks talking to each other.  And I'd guess at least 80 of the 100 ECUs in a car, have LabVIEW involved in some form or another in their development or test cycle.  There are of course other things that need to be tested but I'm going to focus on these for now.

Sometimes this is engineering testing to perform some rapid prototype to see that the ECU responds to some request to do something.  This is usually a bench, a power supply, random wires spliced in, and cheap NI hardware just to prove the thing does what it should.  

But as the system grows you put equipment in a rack, create a test sequence, or some debug mode to exercise the hardware.  And then then carry that over into DV, and PV testing to qualify the part performing long term testing to ensure the part holds up to environmental, concerns.  Or maybe you do some hardware in the loop testing, where the entire vehicle is simulated and the ECU now believes it is in the vehicle.  Some equipment requires more hardware to simulate the vehicle like a dyno controlled setup in a test cell.  Then there is also electromagnetic compatibility testing (EMC) that does weird things with electrical noise around the ECU to ensure it doesn't go through resets or crash.  This ECU, Dyno, HIL, ED, DV, and PV testers are made with LabVIEW.  Then if you really want to get special you carry all this software developed over into the end of line tester that tests each part as it is built before shipping them to the assembly plant.

I've worked in or near the automotive industry for 10 years, and I've worked with several testing houses, OEMs, and suppliers, and they all know Vector, and NI.  The next most commonly found standards probably focus around DSpace and AVL.  If you say you know all 4 to some level, and have a 4 year degree, you will get a job.

And this is just one set of examples focusing on the ECU.  Need a wind tunnel to check aerodynamics?  Several of these have control systems built around NI.  Need to exercise a windshield wiper over and over again to see if it wears out?  What about air dryer systems for the air brake systems in semi-trucks?  Exercising power lift gates?  Or deployable running boards?  Hybrid electrication testing?  Battery testing?  Everything you can imagine in a vehicle needs testing, and I've seen LabVIEW involved with just about all of it.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(8,828 Views)

I wil leave the field open for others to write about what their projects have done, but I will offer a quote I use when trying to explain what Senior Automation Systems Archict does for a living to layman.

"I am the engineer behind the engineers and scientist that make the world better."

You will never hear about us on the news but you will hear about the results of our work.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 10 of 17
(8,825 Views)