LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW front panel of reentrant VI doesn't close (in edit mode)

Hi,

I've had this issue for several years (and over multiple LabVIEW versions), so I finally decided to post this issue.

So it happens often that I am programming or debugging a project with some reentrant VI's, and when I want to close the front panel of a reentrant VI (by pressing the close button (X) in the title bar of the window), the front panel just doesn't close. Can't find a way to close the VI. Reentrant VI is in edit-mode.

No VI is running whatsoever. So I am forced to just minimize the VI and keep programming. The problem only solves itself by closing the entire project or LabVIEW.

Surely someone else must 've experienced this as well?

Thomas.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(1,830 Views)

@ThomasV wrote:

Not me...

Are there steps to reproduce this?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(1,801 Views)

No, sadly haven't found a way to reproduce this yet...

Although I've seen it fur sure since LV2011.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(1,791 Views)

Haven't seen that exactly.  But sometimes I can't get pieces of XControls out of memory.  The VI is hidden/minimized, I can't show it and I can't close it.  I have to exit LabVIEW to get rid of it.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(1,767 Views)

@ThomasV wrote:

Hi,

I've had this issue for several years (and over multiple LabVIEW versions), so I finally decided to post this issue.

So it happens often that I am programming or debugging a project with some reentrant VI's, and when I want to close the front panel of a reentrant VI (by pressing the close button (X) in the title bar of the window), the front panel just doesn't close. Can't find a way to close the VI. Reentrant VI is in edit-mode.

No VI is running whatsoever. So I am forced to just minimize the VI and keep programming. The problem only solves itself by closing the entire project or LabVIEW.

Thomas.

Very strange.  Can you close it from the file menu?  Can you close it using alt+f4?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(1,734 Views)

@ThomasV wrote:

Not too often. Every once in a while (maybe once a month or so?) I get a window which is unwilling to close. The behavior is sporadic, so it's hard to say whether it's specifically reentrant VIs, but I believe it is always a front panel and I think the BD of those VIs can be closed. I also don't think there's any manipulation of the close button or custom code which prevents the window from closing.

When this happens, I believe clicking the close button or attempting to close the window in other ways simply does nothing. I don't think I tried programmatically closing or hiding the window, because it's relatively rare.

Usually I just ignore that window and it will close either when I close the project or LV, don't remember which.

Yes, I've had this problem for years as well.

I currently have LV2014 and LV2017 installed, and it happens in both versions.

It is not limited to one particular PC, it happens on all PCs I have LabVIEW installed on.

It is not a rare occurrence, it doesn't happen every time I open a re-entrant VI, but it'll happen at some point pretty much every day that I am working on LabVIEW.

Message 7 of 12
(1,654 Views)

Very happy that I'm not the only one experiencing this...

But indeed, it's impossible to predict if/when it 'll happen...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(1,647 Views)

Just ran into this again (in LV 2015) and played with it a bit.

The specific VI was shared reentrant. I can interact with the FP. I can minimize it, open the BD, close the BD, etc.

Programmatically closing the FP did nothing. Hiding it did it make it hidden, but then double clicking opened it and it was again unwilling to close. I didn't think to play with the closable property to see if that would change anything.

Closing the project closed the FP as well.

(1,523 Views)

that's about the same behaviour as I'm seeing (also in latest version of LabVIEW).

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(1,517 Views)