From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW for Mac reopens loaded VIs after crash

After a crash or when you had to force-quit LabVIEW, it loads again the last opened VIs when you start LabVIEW.

This is annoying when you use conditional disabled structures and some VIs are loaded before the project and get broken.

Is there any way to turn this feature off? (Command Line parameter, a file to clear or whatever?)

I find only an entry to disable recovery, but not to disable reloading VIs.

You can reproduce when you load a VI and force-quit LabVIEW. When you start LabVIEW the VI will load again.

I am using Mac OS X and LabVIEW 2012SP1 but I guess this is the same for any version.

Thanks,

Stefan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,303 Views)

Stefan,

Try unclicking "Prompt to investigate internal warnings and errors on startup" under Preferences (or Options) >> Evironment >> Internal Warnings and Errors. It is chekced by default.  I leave it on, but I think turning it off may be what you want. I copied the detailed help for that preference also.

Lynn

Preferences.png

Startup warnings.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,272 Views)

Lynn,

that has no effect. It is not about messages - it is about loading and sometimes even executing vis which were loaded during crash/kill.

Stefan 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,259 Views)

Stefan,

When I force quit with a VI open and then restart LV I get a dialog asking about recovery. When I tell it to recover the VI, it also reopens the project.

I dug around some more. Try turning off "Enable automatic saving for recovery" in Environment >> Saving VIs. When I turn that off and force quit, I just get the Getting Started Window on restarting LV.  I crash LV often enough that the automatic saving and recovery is valuable.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,250 Views)

Lynn,

when I forcequit when all VIs are saved and have no changes, I don't get a recovery dialog, but it reopens the vi/project.

Maybe that comes from an OS X setting?

Stefan

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,222 Views)

Stefan,

How do you have those two Environment options set? When I have both on, force quitting brings up the recovery dialog with only the project to be recovered. With both off I get the Getting Started Window.  I did not try the other combinations.

Take a look at your Preferences file to see it you can spot something in there. To check the preferences file without digging through the user Library folder Darren posted a nice little VI here.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,212 Views)