LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW doesn't working with NI cRIO-9074

Hi I'm using cRIO-9074 chassis with NI 9219.

In LabVIEW I want to start a measurements to measure a force with a sensor which is connected to NI 9219. The Laptop ist connected via Ethernet to the cRIO. 

In NI MAX the cRIO is shown as connected an working.

When I'm running the project in LabVIEW appears the following error:

"The current module settings require NI Scan Engine support on the controller. You can use Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX) to install a recomended software set of NI-RIO with NI Scan Engine support on the controller. If LabVIEW FPGA is installed, you can use this module with LabVIEW FPGA by adding an FPGA Target Item under the chassis, and drag and drop the module onto the FPGA Target Item."

Error in LabviewError in Labview 

So I went to NI-MAX and tried to install the required software. But than appears the warning:

"Taenzersystem (169.254.66.100): Command is not supported by the protocol" :

NI_MAX_Software_nicht_installierbar.png

I'm not able to install or delete any software on the cRIO-9074. I'm very desperated. Does anybody know what's the problem?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(1,360 Views)

Hi Ecki,

@Ecki55 wrote:

I'm not able to install or delete any software on the cRIO-9074. I'm very desperated. Does anybody know what's the problem?

According to this you should be able to use the cRIO9074 with your LabVIEW2019/RIO19 installation.

On the other hand the cRIO907x devices are VERY old, using the also outdated PharLap OS.

Is your specific devices installed with an even older LabVIEW version like LV2011? Maybe there is a incompatibility between the software installed in the cRIO (due to its age) and the software on your computer?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(1,334 Views)

Hi Gerd,

First of all thanks for responding!

I'm using an "laboratory-laptop". I think this setup worked in the past, because there are some kind of instructions on the laptop.
In my opinion LabVIEW 2019 is installed, but I will check this out. 

Maybe there is one dump trick and then it works. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(1,304 Views)

Make sure that the IP address of the RIO and your PC is in the same range. 
It looks like your RIO has got a auto generated IP, what is the IP of your PC ?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(1,286 Views)

There are two possible IP Adresses. The one, which is shown at the picture. The other one is 192.109.209.129. I tried both, but both didnt't work.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(1,273 Views)

No, you can't have the same IP, you need a IP in the same range. 

What is you PC's IP address ?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(1,266 Views)

I will looking for it tomorrow. When you got the IP, what is the solution?

On the "Laboratory Laptop" there is an instruction that says "change IP-Adress for..."

IP_LabView.png

It is german, but I hope it shows most important things.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(1,262 Views)

Your cRIO seems to use a so called link local address 169.254.66.100. This is an automatically assigned IP address by the cRIO OS itself, when it is configured to use DHCP for requesting an IP address, but not getting any response from a DHCP server. The network adapter then gets assigned an address in the range 169.254.xx.xx so that there is at least some network communication possible.

Your network adapter in the computer is however set to use 192.109.209.129 with a network mask of 255.255.0.0. This means that traffic for 169.254.66.100 never is routed through this adapter as it does not match the 192.109.xx.xx network range for this adapter. So any packets NI Max wants to send to the device to get more information or change something on it, simply never reach the device.

You can go and read about network protocols, bootp, arp cache, etc. and try to solve this on the command line, or you can be more pragmatic. Change your network adapter on the computer temporarily to also use DHCP. It should then also get a link local address that matches with the one the cRIO has. Then go into NI-MAX and change the network address of the cRIO network adapter to something like 192.109.209.xx but with xx being something different than what you intend on your computer to use (here for instance 129). After that change has been done and the cRIO has restarted it won't be possible to communicate to it anymore from you computer. Now you change the network adapter on your computer back to your old address and now everything should work.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(1,251 Views)

thanks very much for responding!

First of all, I'm not really some kind of of a "network or protocoll genius". So I'm just understanding what you mean roughly. But I can't implement what you said. 

Is there anywhere an step-by-step instruction or troubleshooting on NI-documentation for that? I found something like that:

https://www.ni.com/getting-started/set-up-hardware/compactrio/d/dhcp

So I tried today to give network and nCRIO the same IP-adress (192.109.209.129). nCRIO was connected and I was able to send an ping to it. 

But I got no further, because someone else came and needed the laptop.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(1,234 Views)

@Ecki55 wrote:

So I tried today to give network and nCRIO the same IP-adress (192.109.209.129). nCRIO was connected and I was able to send an ping to it. 

That's definitely NOT going to work. On a network segment each IP address needs to be unique. Two devices having the same IP address is going to cause many problems and definitely won't let the two devices communicate together at all. The trick is to select the addresses such that they are in the same subnet but not equal.

And the subnet is defined by the IP address and network mask. If you have an IP address of 192.109.209.129 and a mask of 255.255.0.0 this device can only communicate through TCP/IP and UDP when the other station also has an address of 192.109.x.x. 

The x.x can be anything between 1 and 254 for each x but can not be the same as any other device on that network cable/segment/hub.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(1,226 Views)