LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW doesn't load when installed (and never appears in task manager).

I am trying to install a LabVIEW 2017 evaluation, however whenever I install the program and run the executable, LabVIEW doesn't run. The executable does absolutely nothing. In the past I have improperly uninstalled another version of LabVIEW (that worked fine), but do to my not using the uninstaller, there may be loose files scattered about my drive and registry that I cannot find. I have used the NI package installer to remove some of the corrupted NI files, however when I run the LabVIEW installer, everything is fine except that "NI Measurement & Automation Explorer 17.0" is still installed locally as shown: untitled.png

I also cannot choose the remove this feature and this doesn't appear in my NI Package Manager. According to the manager, all relevant NI software has been removed, and yes, I have gone into the settings to display everything, not just products and applications. I have lost alot of time working on a final project for school due to this issue. I would appreciate any ideas anybody has to fix this.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,148 Views)

Two suggestions (both of which I've tried -- the second one worked, but you may have better success with #1 than I did:

1. Go to Support.NI.Com and file a Request for help.
  2. If this fails, reformat C:, reinstall Windows, reinstall other programs, and carefully install LabVIEW.  I've (almost) never had problems installing LabVIEW up to and including 2016.  I have not been able to install LabVIEW 2017 on my three PCs (but have succeeded in a new "Test" machine), and have used Method 2 to "back out" of LabVIEW 2017 mis-installs.  Here's hoping LabVIEW 2018 

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,112 Views)

I have had this happen to me with LabVIEW 2017 when the evaluation license files were removed or not found.  See if you have the local evaluation license, it should be installed at:

Windows XP <Program Files>\National Instruments\Shared\License Manager\Licenses\
Windows 7/8/10 <ProgramData>\National Instruments\License Manager\Licenses\

(I got these paths from here

Hope this helps.

Quentin "Q" Alldredge

Chief LabVIEW Architect, Testeract | Owner, Q Software Innovations, LLC (QSI)
Director, GCentral | Admin, LabVIEW Wiki | Creator, The QControl Toolkit
Certified LabVIEW Architect | LabVIEW Champion | NI Alliance Partner

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,103 Views)

My C drive (which I keep windows installed on) is an SSD and doesn't have much data on it, however most of my files and software are on my 1 TB Hard Drive, and I don't know if the clean installation of windows will remove data from both drives or just the C. I have alot of large files on my H drive that would be torture to try to backup and restore if I were to wipe the drives. Currently I am trying to install an evaluation so I cannot open a support request. Ideally I'm looking for a way to locate all the NI files and registry entities and remove them so it was almost as if the software was never installed, but after I deleted it in an unorthodox manner, I cannot find the traces that are causing bugs. Initially I did have labview 2017 installed and  working properly, but then I deleted it for another version and later tried to reinstall it, but now its not working.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,074 Views)

I am not sure if this is significant or not, but when the NI Measurement & Automation Explorer 17.0 says its still installed locally and the option to remove it isn't available, I click on show dependent and I displays "Installed products not in this distribution". I don't know how to remove this software and its not showing up anywhere, even in the NI Package Manager.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,071 Views)

What link did you use to download the LabVIEW 2017 installer? their is a chance that you accidently installed a patch or the runtime by mistake. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,034 Views)

I believe I downloaded my installer from this link: http://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/labview/download.html

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,997 Views)