LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW and Windows Server 2016 / 2019

Does anybody have any experiences running LabVIEW Executables on Windows Server 2016 or 2019?

I know that this is not officially supported and I already got a call from NI but they said they have no experiences regarding this topic.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,882 Views)

Any suggestions?  

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,840 Views)

I too would be interested to know this as i'm looking for a dedicated server solution and given that most dedicated server hosts only seem to support Server 2016 or Ubuntu.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,754 Views)

I had a discussion with NI and they told me, it is not supported. And this will be the only thing what they gonna tell me regarding this issue. Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,744 Views)

Sorry, do you have any updates about this question?

I'm interested in compatibility of MS Windows Server 2019 and any version of LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,805 Views)

NI will not give any statement about this since they do no testing of this. It’s understandable since servers are generally not used to host LabVIEW applications. In fact most IT departments will forbid to install anything on such a system they haven’t specifically tested, audited and approved.

As such you will be on your own. My suspicion is that a bare LabVIEW application will run but YMMV greatly depending on what extra features you use such as drivers (DAQmx, GPIB, etc) or extra services (ActiveX, .Net components, HTTP functions. etc).

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,797 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

NI will not give any statement about this since they do no testing of this. It’s understandable since servers are generally not used to host LabVIEW applications. In fact most IT departments will forbid to install anything on such a system they haven’t specifically tested, audited and approved.

As such you will be on your own. My suspicion is that a bare LabVIEW application will run but YMMV greatly depending on what extra features you use such as drivers (DAQmx, GPIB, etc) or extra services (ActiveX, .Net components, HTTP functions. etc).

I have run LabVIEW applications on Windows server before and haven't encountered any significant issues. My code is basically all pure LabVIEW code without any Active X or hardware communications other than straight TCP. The worst thing about running on a Windows server is the auto update/reboot. That is now a problem on Windows 10 as well if the application is meant to run 24/7. I haven't converted the application to run as a service yet.  In general, if you are using basic LabVIEW code (meaning LabVIEW primatives) without much external dependiences it should run fine. I would avoid overly complex UIs as well as external drivers.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 7 of 7
(1,782 Views)