LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW and Location of database

# 1   I have a simple LabVIEW application which needs a (DLL which in turn needs a) database. DLL and database do not (and cannot ) have absolute path.
# 2 LabVIEW puts limitation on me that I MUST have my database in the directory where LabVIEW.exe is located.
# 3 Next , I create a ‘standalone application’ from my program to run on a machine without LabVIEW. To run it successfully, again it’s made compulsory to me that
‘database’ must be located in the directory …
“..\\Shared\LabVIEW Run-time\6.0\”
Otherwise the database is not found.

So, to run the program on other machine withour labVIEW, I need to manually instruct him to put the database at above location. This is undesired.

#4 Other (dangerous) option is ….
At the time of standalone program installation , remove the LabVIEW run-time engine originally present on the customer machine, and to reinstall it to the directory where the database is present.
Sometimes it gives an error – “Internal Error 2355”.

Please note – absolute paths cannot be provided, since they may be given dynamically on site.

Sandeep
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,450 Views)
Create a "Preferences" vi that runs once upon installation and thereafter only upon request from user that allows input of the path to the database (and any other 'set once' information). Save this information to globals that are accessed by the original application. For security purposes you can either password protect the 'Preferences" vi (programmatically) or allow access to it through an 'invisible' (i.e.: transparent) Boolean control somewhere on the front panel.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,450 Views)
problem with it:

# path cannot be user selected path. LabVIEW system forces it to be in "labview.exe"'s directory.

# End user may not know path to 'Labview.exe' or 'run time engine directory' & may not be interested to spend time to find it.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,450 Views)
Sandeep,

Where are you placing your DLL in all of this? Is it always in the same directory the database is? If it is, then refer to this KnowledgeBase. This KnowledgeBase describes where LabVIEW searches for DLLs that it uses in VIs.

This answer has also been given to your sales representative as they forwarded the question to Applications Engineering (technical support).

Randy Hoskin
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/ask
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,450 Views)