LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW and Finite Element Analysis

I would like to know how people have used LabVIEW for/with finite element modeling (FEM), either LabVIEW itself or LabVIEW interacting with third-party FEM software.

Sincerely,

Don
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(6,590 Views)
Don,

I have not seen applications built in LabVIEW that perform finite element modeling. While I am not entirely familiar with the intricacies of FEM, I do know that the process entails a great deal of advanced mathematics. LabVIEW does have VIs for performing various math functions including differential equation solvers. If you wanted to use LabVIEW for FEM, you can also consider the use of the MathScript node and the MathScript window to write m-script code for these mathematical functions.

I may be able to provide additional information if you could provide an example of your FEM application. How intricate is the model for the object that you will be modeling? For example, will you be analyzing forces and torques on a beam, or will you be modeling an asymmetrical collision of a car into a wall? Do you know the sort of calculations will your application entail?

At this time, LabVIEW does not have an easy means of communicating with a 3rd party FEM software. Again I would ask in what respect you would like to interact with alternative software. Do you want to see a visual representation of the physical object that you are analyzing? LabVIEW can easily interact with SolidWorks software for 3D modeling, but not a software package that would perform finite element analysis. Would you like to develop a front panel for an analysis application that is performed in another software? This may be possible if we further discuss the details.

Finally, I can encourage you to submit any product suggestions at the National Instruments Product Suggestion Center. Our LabVIEW developers carefully consider each of these suggestions, and any input you have as to how our application can better serve you would be greatly valued.

I apologize that I do not have a more concrete answer for you, but I hope that this information was useful for you. Please let me know if you would like to discuss this application further. Thanks,

Mike
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(6,560 Views)
Hi Mike:

The particular application involves the propagation of ultrasonic stress waves in a structure containing flaws - and the subsequent response of the stress waves to the flaws.  I am learning also as we go along.  Since there are many great FEM programs out there, yes, I was probably more thinking of the interaction of LabVIEW and current FEM software like Abaqus (as an example).  LabVIEW would be used at the front end for input and at the back end for solution visualization.  The established FEM code, likely optimized for solution speed, would be the calculation engine.

LabVIEW seems to be able to interact with more and more programs thru ActiveX interface, so I wondered whether anything might be in the works.

Then again, an FEM-dedicated LabVIEW toolkit might be a great idea.

Sincerely,

Don
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(6,544 Views)
Hi Don,

Yours sounds like a very interesting application. I can definitely understand why you would want to create a UI as well as a data viewer in LabVIEW.

As you mentioned, LabVIEW has the capability to interact with other software programs primarily through ActiveX or .NET. In order for this to be possible, the other software program must be designed with an ActiveX server. This would depend on the software package, but essentially a set of objects and methods must be registered with the operating system in order for LabVIEW to utilize ActiveX. This is similar to defining how the interaction would work between the software and ActiveX. For a brief description of ActiveX and how it works, please take a look at the ActiveX Overview.

I do not know if there are FEM tools out there that are ActiveX ready, but this can factor into your selection of a tool. I also noticed that the link in my previous post appears to be broken; I would also suggest that you submit your idea for a FEM LabVIEW toolkit to the Product Suggestion Center. Thank you very much for your time. Have a great day!

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(6,518 Views)
Hi Mike:

We found this link for at least the visualization aspect of model output using Diadem NI-Insight plug-in but looks anything but straightforward.

http://www.ni.com/swf/presentation/us/niinsitetut/default.htm

Yes, I did go ahead and submit a product suggestion.

Sincerely,

Don

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(6,504 Views)

Hello , iam from colombia.

i am writing code in labview for develop the finite element method. i will devolop code for calculate estress, strain, forces, and FS wilth element unidimensional beam and truss, bidimensional CST, LST, Q4, Q8 and Q9. it is possible !!! if u know the mathematical formulation.

Sebastian 

ING Mechanical.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(5,530 Views)

Sebastian,

LabVIEW does not have a specific toolkit used for FEA, as mentioned above. Multiple product suggestions have been made for this toolkit, and I encourage you to make another. You do have the ability to create your own application to run FEA for all of the referenced simulations, but this would require a lot of overhead and development time. If you want to go this route, I recommend you take a look at the Partial Differential Equations VIs. If you do end up creating an application to run FEA, I am sure it would be very coveted.

Best,

Jason M.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(5,492 Views)

Hello Jason

it that you told me is really true.  Other companies as abaqus, ansys, they have many people developing day a day code for aplications about finite element method, for a one person it is very slow, it take very time.

if you like when i finish my research where i use labview for write code of finite elements, i can send you it.

thank you for the tools for solve differrencial equations

sorry for my english.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(5,485 Views)

Sebastian,

I have written a thermal simulation and parts of a fluid dynamics simulation  in LV. Neither is general purpose and neither is anything I can publish at this time.

Tips: If the changes are sufficiently small (from time step to time step and cell to cell) you may be able to simplify the differential equations to difference equations or even algbraic equations. If you can do this without loss of accuracy or generality, you may get substantial speed improvements.

Pay attention to memory management so that you do not create unnecessary copies of large datasets.  NI has published a white paper on the management of lareg datasets. It is several years old but still very valuable.

Make sure your algorithms test for convergence or timestep errors.  If possible try to adapt the calculations to prevent or overcome such errors.  There are books which describe methods for doing this.

Please keep us informed of your progress.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(5,480 Views)

hi how are you , i want give a advance for the structure of code:

When you speak about simplify the differential ecuation is totaly true. my purpose is reduce the computational cost, using the way functions for give numeric solution a diferential ecuation, remove the older, the most amount possible of ceros of the stiffness matriz, further of other artifices.

while less nodes number, less operations, less computational cost, more small the stiffness matriz, it will be more efective and eficient.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(5,476 Views)