From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Run-time Engine 7.1.1 installation failure on Windows 7 SP 1 32-bit

I am attempting an installation of LabVIEW Run-time Engine 7.1.1 on my Windows 7 SP1 32-bit OS computer and the installation hangs.  This happens near the beginning.  Is there a compatibility issue?  The window does not have any error messages.  It says: "Updating System, The features you selected are currently being installed."  The progress indicator blinks periodically, but does not move forward.  Please help.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(8,891 Views)

A google search on "LabVIEW Windows compaitibilty" lists this as the first entry.  Long story short.  Not compatible.

[edit]

I never tried installing just the runtime, so I can't tell you if it will complete the install or not.

[/edit]

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(8,890 Views)

Thank you for your response and thank you for the link to the table.  Its interesting because I do have LabVIEW Run-Time Engine 7.1.1 installed and running a 64-bit verison of Windows 7 with no issues.  It installed perfectly.  However, on my 32-bit machine, it just fails.  Any idea what the reason could be?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(8,878 Views)

@josramir64 wrote:

Thank you for your response and thank you for the link to the table.  Its interesting because I do have LabVIEW Run-Time Engine 7.1.1 installed and running a 64-bit verison of Windows 7 with no issues.  It installed perfectly.  However, on my 32-bit machine, it just fails.  Any idea what the reason could be?  Thanks!

Hmmm... not exactly sure why it would fail on your 32-bit Win7 setup.

I'll let you in on  little secret, though:

Even though it's not officially supported on Windows 7, you can get it to work.  But there are so many caveats that it it's usually easier to just update to a version of LV that is officially supported.

You can do a search here on the forums if you really want to try this, though.  Last time I implored my project leader not to attempt it.  We did and wasted about a month trying to get it to work before we finally ended up scrapping it and going with Windows XP.  Too many subtle issues that couldn't be resolved.  (It was easier to change the OS than deal with updating the code in our case.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(8,870 Views)

None whatsoever.  Seriously LabVIEW 7.1 came out a decade before the OS.  Now, there is some possibility that LabVIEW 6.1 or greater MAY run on a newer Windows OS but, it is not officially supported.  No bug fixes will be forthcomming.  No compatability issues will be addressed. 

On the other side of things--  Do you still install Office 2000?  Acrobat 8? Netscape?  LabVIEW 7.1 is rather "Long in the tooth"  the software probably needs an update anyway.  When your executable can get a driver's license its obsolete.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 5 of 10
(8,868 Views)

I recently tried to install the LabVIEW 7.0 runtime engine on my Windows 7 (64 bit) machine to try out an old software. Ended up removing it quickly again, since any LabVIEW version I started up after that, including LabVIEW 2013 showed an installation dialog on startup about (updating installation information, please wait!).

Basically there are so many possible problems why it could fail. Apparently the runtime engine installer had played with some other NI component that he had no idea would ever exist when it was created and caused that component to always think it needed to update itself to finalize its installation. In your case it could be anything from a missing Visual C runtime version framework that the installer simply expects to be present but doesn't since Microsoft has in the meantime released about 5 versions of Visual C and doesn't install all runtime versions anymore on newest Windows. Or it could be a conflict with your hyper-duper .Net Framework 4.5.x.y that the installer does not be prepared for. Maybe that or something else was not present on your 64 Bit machine where you could install the runtime engine.

Basically the reasons for the install to fail are legion, and trying to figure it out is always more hassle than moving on and let old software be old software.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(8,826 Views)

If you're not using hardware you can install a Virtual XP, it's a good solution as it's easy enough and a separate system that wont break your real install.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(8,813 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

If you're not using hardware you can install a Virtual XP, it's a good solution as it's easy enough and a separate system that wont break your real install.

/Y

I have LV 7.1.1 and LV 8.0 installed on a VM at home.  That's to compliment the LV 2013 I have on Win7.  I've found that setup useful for when I have to convert simple code from LV 2013 to LV 7.1.1.  (Not projects, of course.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Message 8 of 10
(8,785 Views)

I had the same problem, RT 7.1 would not work on a win7 64bit system.

I reformated and reinstalled win 7 + drivers, then installed rt 7.1 before any other programs and got it work.

note I have got win 7 32 bit and 64 bit to work with RT 7.1 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(8,184 Views)

I was having the same issue with a win7 x64 machine and what solved it was:

go to properties -> compatibilityand -> check "run this program in compatibility mode for:" -> [select] Windows XP SP 3

save changes and run again the installation .exe

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(7,762 Views)