LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Roadmap 2022 Q3

can the community version open and view VI or projects using other modules such as Vision, Real-Time or FPGA? without breaking or missing subVIs?

CY (expired CLAD)
0 Kudos
Message 61 of 68
(1,852 Views)

It's this kind of emergency stopgap measure - I mean, Community Edition to view business code? - that has me losing faith in NI.  I don't know which scenario I am more afraid of: That they didn't have the foresight to understand that being locked out of code would be detrimental to the maintenance of critical code, or that they didn't care and are just responding to customer "concern" about it?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 62 of 68
(1,831 Views)

@TiTou wrote:

Yes, but currently it is incredibly difficult to - both - download AND activate the community edition.

I tried Community Edition for the first time just this past week and had tons of difficulty - turns out there was a bug somewhere on NI's side that should be fixed now.

When things are working as intended, you just login to your NI account, download Community Edition, install it, and login to your NI account when the Activation prompt comes up. That's no worse than paid-for LabVIEW these days, and it seems like a reasonable way to get a free (basically Pro) license for home use.

If I could change anything about the CE availability, I would show it as a 4th license option (e.g. Base, Full, Professional, Community) to improve discoverability. Right now you basically need to know it exists and go looking for it.

0 Kudos
Message 63 of 68
(1,807 Views)

As a side note LabVIEW on Linux (at least until v. 2020, haven't check more recent versions) doesn't have any activation management.

Installing LabVIEW on Linux is not always easy and comes with some restriction but at least you're free from activation bugs on Ni's side.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 64 of 68
(1,799 Views)

@billko wrote:

It's this kind of emergency stopgap measure - I mean, Community Edition to view business code? - that has me losing faith in NI.  I don't know which scenario I am more afraid of: That they didn't have the foresight to understand that being locked out of code would be detrimental to the maintenance of critical code, or that they didn't care and are just responding to customer "concern" about it?

Whichever scenario it is, I hate that the discussion was framed as "we need a way to look at the code if we stop paying". I didn't buy LV so I could look at my code. I bought it so I could create my deliverable, which is usually an executable. Not being able to edit the code and rebuild is the real issue, and I don't want to have to be dependent on NI for that.

@BertMcMahan, Thanks for correcting me. I can't seem to edit my posts once posted anymore. I would redact that sentence then. Agree that the process of purchasing / activation has to faster and smoother. LabVIEW hangs for ages on startup if a license is expired while it sorts itself out and prompts you to continue or activate. 

0 Kudos
Message 66 of 68
(1,629 Views)

@Kiwi-wires wrote:

@BertMcMahan, Thanks for correcting me. I can't seem to edit my posts once posted anymore. I would redact that sentence then. Agree that the process of purchasing / activation has to faster and smoother. LabVIEW hangs for ages on startup if a license is expired while it sorts itself out and prompts you to continue or activate. 

No worries. It's not like it's particularly clear anywhere. As far as I know you have to have stumbled across it in one of these giant threads.

And I think there's a time limit on editing posts. I don't know how long it is but I think it's a day or less, maybe a few hours.

0 Kudos
Message 67 of 68
(1,611 Views)

@BertMcMahan wrote:

And I think there's a time limit on editing posts. I don't know how long it is but I think it's a day or less, maybe a few hours

From my own experience it’s an hour or so. I sometimes wish it was longer as some typos and errors only can be seen after reading a post a little later again. Right after writing something I often read what I wanted to say, rather than what I wrote and that includes even pretty bad typos. 

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 68 of 68
(1,549 Views)