From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW RTE Not detected for one of two files

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello!  I'm trying to run an old executable that utilizes LabVIEW but that system apparently cannot detect it.  I have two .exe's actually, nmd2txt and tdms2mat. I know that they convert files from the prior type to the later type (a .nmd to a .txt), however only one of them is not working. When I execute the nmd2txt it gives me:

"Unable to locate the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine.

nmd2txt requires a version 2011 (or compatbile) LabVIEW Run-Time Engine. To corret this problem, please contact the vendor of nmd2txt or download the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine from the National Instruments site.

Do you want to visit ni.com to download the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine?"

I have downloaded RTE three times now, 2022 Q3, 2011 and 2012. None of them appear to work. What is extra confusing is that the other executable works just fine (tdms2mat).  If I try to run tdms2mat on a computer without RTE, then I get the same error but it tells me the versions is 2012.

I apologize if this is a basic question, I have absolutely no experience with this LabVIEW other than simply executing this programs and entering the file location for it to do what it needs to.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(897 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author GT_UF

No need to apologize! we all started out knowing less than we do now!

I would suspect that the RTE you downloaded was the wrong bitness or you did not install the RTE and only downloaded the RTE installer. (confusing enough-  the download only downloads the installer and bin files for the RTE so you must install the RTE afterwards too by running the installer from the download)

Try this link  

Make sure you select the correct OS (Windows / MAC) and the correct bitness almost assuredly x32 for a LabVIEW 2011 exe (driver support was sketchy for x64 in 2011)  Also use the 2011SP1  download.  the 2011 SP1 RTE will run either 2011 or 2011SP1 built executables.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(881 Views)

You are trying to run very old software (> 10 years).  Unfortunately, installing and uninstalling LabVIEW has  gotten a bit more complicated since NIPM was introduced with LabVIEW 2017.  By downloading and installing the 2022 Q3 version of the RTE, you might (I am not at all sure about this) have made things more difficult.

Where are you located?  Do you know any co-workers, colleagues, or consultants who could visit and help you?  Do you have the original LabVIEW code for the two routines you are trying to run?  If the latter, probably the safest way to proceed is to re-compile the "old" code with a more recent version of LabVIEW (say, the latest version for which you have a license) and try running that.

A Strong Word of Advice -- do not try to remove any NI Software (such as LabVIEW) yourself.  Uninstalling LabVIEW, if not done "correctly", can prevent ever reinstalling it without a full re-installation of Windows, your Apps, and all you Data (I, and many others, have made this mistake).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(880 Views)

I think this solved it, thank you very much! From what I can tell it was the 32bit not the 64 bit.  You have saved me more time and stress than you could ever know. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(861 Views)

@GT_UF wrote:

I think this solved it, thank you very much! From what I can tell it was the 32bit not the 64 bit.  You have saved me more time and stress than you could ever know. Thank you.

Easy enough to confuse anyone.  The 32 bit LabVIEW development environment  can only build 32 bit applications and they need the 32 bit RTE to run.  They can run on either a 32 or 64 bit OS.  The 64 bit LabVIEW development environment  can only build 64 bit applications and they need the 64 bit RTE to run.  Those can only run on 64 bit Systems.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(837 Views)