LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW NXG at the controls is the caption available?

Solved!
Go to solution

I have started working with LabVIEW NXG, and in the control properties, I only find the label option, but not the caption option. In LabVIEW NXG is the caption option still available?

Message 1 of 19
(3,865 Views)

Hi Carlos_Gonzalez,

I didn't find a Caption property in the control's options. On the other hand, I find another option called Annotation. You might want to give it a try.

Caption in NXG.png

Warm regards,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(3,808 Views)

Thanks for the reply, but I think it is meant for the representacion of units.

Since I have been programming, I have considered the label as the name assigned by the developer and the caption as the name assigned by the user.

Do you know if National Instruments is going to introduce the caption in future versions of LabVIEW NXG?

Imagine that we have to deliver an application in different languajes, hoy would you change the name to the control? For example, imagine that we use Set Control Value/Get Control Value in our application, it would be difficult to adapt all the names to the user's language.

One option would be to use a string control, but it would force us to be managing two controls, one for the value and one for the name.

Regards.

Message 3 of 19
(3,791 Views)

Thanks for your input Carlos_Gonzalez,

I wasn't sure what you were using that feature for. I can see how having multiple string controls for this functionality can be both an overkill, as well as undesirable extra work. There is an option to localize VIs, which I believe you can use meanwhile and hopefully can give you some options to continue your development: Get Localized String (G Dataflow)

Warm regards!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(3,775 Views)

Thank you very much, I will see how you can help me, although I would like the caption option to continue in the new versión of labview.

Regards.

Message 5 of 19
(3,767 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dgd.gomez

Thank you, Carlos_Gonzalez.

I'll make sure to pass along this feedback. I also suggest you use the in-product feedback feature to tell us what we’re doing well and what we can improve. NI R&D monitors feedback submissions and evaluates them for upcoming LabVIEW NXG releases.

All the best,

Message 6 of 19
(3,760 Views)

@oscarfonseca wrote:

Thank you, Carlos_Gonzalez.

I'll make sure to pass along this feedback. I also suggest you use the in-product feedback feature to tell us what we’re doing well and what we can improve. NI R&D monitors feedback submissions and evaluates them for upcoming LabVIEW NXG releases.

All the best,

It sounds like captions were intentionally removed???  Almost every bit of code I'd ever written makes use of captions.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(3,745 Views)

@billko

It sounds like captions were intentionally removed???  Almost every bit of code I'd ever written makes use of captions.

Like  use captions extensively my applications. Disappointing.

steve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the forum when you get help. Click the "Solution?" icon on the reply that answers your
question. Give "Kudos" to replies that help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(3,730 Views)

Yes. This is a real issue. Caption feature is a must one! Or is there something replacing this functionality we just do not know about? I did not really start to dig into NXG yet.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(3,723 Views)

I am teaching a transitioning to NXG class and the attendees have an interest in keeping captions in NXG.

Is this going to be added in the future?

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(3,414 Views)