cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW GOOP in 2013

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have a program that was developed in LabVIEW 7 and uses the Generate Report (Set Modified Data, Get Data to Modify) VIs. I am trying to update it to LabVIEW 2013. I have the Database Connectivity Toolkit and the Report Generation Toolkit.

The problem is that the typedef ctl used in the old program is not the same as the new program ctl and the parameters do not match up. Is there a way to get them to work together without  breaking all the subVIs? Or will I have to do something along the lines of recreating the typedef and replacing all the new instances with the old form?

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,552 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author chorner

The Report Generator in LabVIEW 2013, which uses a Report Object, is much better, easier to use, etc. than the Report Generator that came with LabVIEW 7.  [Hmm -- I may be thinking about the Report Generator Toolkit for Microsoft Office, since most of the "reports" that I generate involve reading and writing to/from Excel ...].  You may find that "starting over again" in 2013, thinking about what you want to do (in terms of a report) rather than how you want to do it (which may bring over "obsolete baggage" from LabVIEW 7) will be well worth the trouble.

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 5
(2,540 Views)

Hi Bob,

I have a very specific template in excel I am attempting to export data to. As before the old system was developed on WinXP and with LV7, and I am moving to Win7 with LV13. Ideally I just want to get it working and then later be able to redo the program to use the new Report Generator.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,507 Views)

I'm assuming that you have the following available to you:  Windows 7, LabVIEW 2012 (or 2013), data that you want to put into Excel, and an idea of how you want the resulting Spreadsheet to appear.  Note that you do not need to have a "Template" (indeed, you are probably much better off without one).

A few months ago, I posted an Excel Demo that I called a Revised "Generate Excel Report" Example (as it duplicates the functionality of the Generate Excel Report example that ships with LabVIEW).  You should be able to find it on the Forum.  It shows how to take (almost arbitrary) data and generate an (appropriate) Excel Workbook, where you decide on the format of Excel "on the fly", without reference to an existing Template.

In my earlier post to you, I suggested "starting over" -- this Demo will, I hope, convince you that this is by far the simplest route to take to solve your problem.

BS

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,474 Views)

Hi Bob,

Ultimately I had to do as you suggested in your first post and as you are suggesting now. I used the new RGT VIs to replace the most problematic parts of the application. I have it working to some degree, it needs a few more tweaks though to get all the data to the locations I need. Thanks for the help and I will definitely check out your demo.

Thanks again

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,457 Views)