From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW FPGA PXI - Help on Fast internal Trigger (DStar?)

Hello everyone,

I work on a PXIe-1085 chassi, that has a PXIe-8135 controller, and 2 flexrios: one FPGA module 7966, connected on slot 2 and another FPGA module 7975 connected to slot 3. I do not have any system timing controller (although I do not really understand what that is tbh).

I want to send a trigger from module 7975 (slot 3) to module 7966 (slot 2). 

I have used one of the 8 eight triggers configured (PXI Trig_0-7) to do this, but they are too slow.

So I was trying to use another way to send the trigger signal, still using the PXI backplane. 

I have one clock DStarA, and two other DStar ressources namely PXIe_DStarB and PXIe_DStarC. 

I read in different places that PXIe_DStarC could work. So I tried to replace my simple trig that used PXI_Trig0 into a trig that uses PXIe_DStarC, but the result is that no trig signal is seen by the other FPGA. I run this trig in a Timed Loop using the IO Module Clock, as shown in the image attached (as I did for the PXI_Trig0 that worked well).

Therefore, I wanted to know if there are any advice/examples on how to use fast triggers, such as PXIe_DStarC (or A or B, whatever works, even the PXI_Star, but I saw that it requires a System Timing Controller - and I do not have such a module, if this is a module). 

Thanks a LOT for your kind help!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(976 Views)

The DStar triggers connect every slot to the system timing slot. You can send a trigger using DStar from any slot to a timing and sync card in the system timing slot or from a timing and sync card in the system timing slot to any other slot. You cannot send a trigger directly from a regular PXIe module directly to another regular PXIe module using the DStar triggers. To use the DStar trigger you would need to purchase a timing and sync module, such as the PXIe-6674T, which supports the DStar triggers.

What is the Star Trigger on the PXI Backplane? - NI

pxi-timing-and-synchronization-modules.pdf

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(330 Views)