From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW DSC: Migration from 6.1 to 8.6 problems

Colleagues,

I need help from someone who experienced with LabVIEW DSC. I would like to recompile pretty old application written in LabVIEW 6.1/DSC 6.1 to LabVIEW 8.6, and got lot of troubles with this.

At the first I have tried to migrate my old scf file as described here: "Migrating from LabVIEW DSC 7.1 to 8.0".

Well, it seems to be OK, and LabVIEW.lvlib library with variables was created, but when I tried to double click on the some items, then exception occurred in LabVIEW (see dsc_exception.png in attachment).

Can you please open test project (attached to this post) and double-click on the Slave005_A0 Item? Is crash happened only by me or by someone else?

The second problem with understanding.

In LabVIEW DSC 6.1 I have used "Read Tag.vi" / "Write Tag.vi" vis for accessing the items. When my VI opened in LabVIEW/DSC 8.6, then these calls replaced with "legacy_Write_Tag_(analog)7x.vi" (see screenshot). I'm unable to found according VIs in DSC 8.6. How can I write/read my tags in the latest version? As far as I can understand, I can use Shared Variables directly. Is this correct? But then how can I read multiple tags? Through DataSocket VIs?

The same with "legacy_Get_Tag_List7x.vi". How can I get items list in DSC 8.6 programmatically?

Or should I leave all legacy* vis in my application?

thanks in advance and best regards,

Andrey.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,559 Views)

Hi Andrey,

Yes, my LabVIEW crashes as well. As you may have noticed, a lot has changed in LabVIEW 8.0 with regards to DSC, the most important being that tags are replaced with Shared Variables. I would recommend that you go through each variable and create them by yourself to ensure the most reliable performance. 

If you are interested in reading 'tags', then you just need to drag the Shared Variable and place it on the block diagram (that's the direct way). If you are interested in doing this programatically, then have a look at the DSC Module -> Engine Control -> Variables & I/O Servers -> Get Shared Variable List palette on the block diagram. You can then use DataSocket to access the Shared Variables.

Don't leave the legacy VIs on your block diagram. Upgrade your whole project; shared variables are here to stay. Have a look at the following article to get a thorough understanding of them:

Using the LabVIEW Shared Variable

Let us know if you have more questions.

Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,540 Views)

Hi, Adnan,

Thank you for the answer.

It means, that followin two construction absolutely the same?:

Andrey.

Message Edited by Andrey Dmitriev on 01-13-2009 08:52 AM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,499 Views)
Yes. Shared variables are like simplified datasocket.
Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,423 Views)