LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Community Edition

@billko wrote:

Wow!  Any details?  I couldn't hear any sound.  That would be a great way to keep your skills sharp if you're a contractor between jobs, for instance.

I only recorded Eric's announcement on my iPhone, and also only posted an excerpt of the whole 5 minutes on LinkedIn and Twitter, as kind of a teaser. Please take my apologies for the quality. We will have a professionally recorded and edited version of it available through GDevCon's Youtube channel in a few weeks. 

DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshops (Fab, Steve, Brian and me)
Release Automation Tools for LabVIEW (CI/CD integration with LabVIEW)
HSE Discord Server (Discuss our free and commercial tools and services)
DQMH® (The Future of Team-Based LabVIEW Development)

Message 31 of 68
(3,543 Views)

@joerg.hampel wrote:

@billko wrote:

Wow!  Any details?  I couldn't hear any sound.  That would be a great way to keep your skills sharp if you're a contractor between jobs, for instance.

I only recorded Eric's announcement on my iPhone, and also only posted an excerpt of the whole 5 minutes on LinkedIn and Twitter, as kind of a teaser. Please take my apologies for the quality. We will have a professionally recorded and edited version of it available through GDevCon's Youtube channel in a few weeks. 

Sorry if it sounded like I was complaining; I wasn't.  I super-appreciated the heads-up!  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 32 of 68
(3,500 Views)

We have to be registered for tech preview, requiring an active SSP, to get the community edition?

I do have all these things, but that seems kind of strange... 

"I don't know" is a valid and respectable answer.
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 68
(3,397 Views)

@Newt wrote:

We have to be registered for tech preview, requiring an active SSP, to get the community edition?

That seems to be the case until the actual Q4 release (at least that's how I read Eric's post).

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 68
(3,378 Views)

I can't wait it available!!! In the future, I hope NI releases community version of other toolkits ! (Of course I know it's too difficult : P)

Certified LabVIEW Developer
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 68
(3,328 Views)

@Jacobson-ni wrote:

@Newt wrote:

That seems to be the case until the actual Q4 release (at least that's how I read Eric's post).

I think it is LINX that is being released Q4.  LabVIEW Community Edition is due out with LabVIEW 2020 (ie NI Week).  And I'm not sure the Tech Preview will actually have a Community Edition because it will just be LabVIEW Pro with a license that says "not for commercial use".  That is unless the LabVIEW 2020 beta is going through the Tech Preview now.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 68
(3,282 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

I think it is LINX that is being released Q4.  LabVIEW Community Edition is due out with LabVIEW 2020 (ie NI Week).  And I'm not sure the Tech Preview will actually have a Community Edition because it will just be LabVIEW Pro with a license that says "not for commercial use".  That is unless the LabVIEW 2020 beta is going through the Tech Preview now.

Here's what I've understood so far:

- LINX has been already released as an early beta. Through the Tech Preview program.
- The LabVIEW Community Edition will be available in Q4 as a beta version also through the Technology Preview program.
- The first full (i.e. non-beta) version of the LabVIEW Community Edition will be released together with LV 2020 next year in May. 
- Regarding versions, I'm quoting Eric: "the LabVIEW Community Edition is completely free, and has no Watermarks on it.  It includes all of the functionality of the LabVIEW Professional Edition, including the ability to build and deploy executables."

DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshops (Fab, Steve, Brian and me)
Release Automation Tools for LabVIEW (CI/CD integration with LabVIEW)
HSE Discord Server (Discuss our free and commercial tools and services)
DQMH® (The Future of Team-Based LabVIEW Development)

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 68
(3,261 Views)

I'll ask here rather than via PM as it is possibly or wider interest - what about non-profit organisations? Those of us that work with youth groups around the world (uniformed like scouts, or things like code camps) possibly fall between the gaps. We aren't education as such - we aren't teachers this isn't at school as formal schooling, but we do teach life skills or encourage interests, usually on even more of a shoestring than the average school. The work is non-commercial - if we get our expenses back we're usually happy and don't always get that much.

I'm also using my maker and programming skills more and more creating things to use when running some activities - again, we get paid expenses at most. I'm certainly not making money from it (losing money into it is more likely the case - I refuse to keep those accounts), would this version be suitable for that side of things? Anything to save me some programming time, and I find LabVIEW far more intuitive to code in than many other languages.

Message 38 of 68
(2,915 Views)

I really hope that community versions of the Linux and Mac editions are made available as well. A lot of companies I have worked at recently used Linux PCs for software development and testing, a lot of products are Linux based, plus Macs in the office. I myself like to use LabVIEW, but I keep getting asked to write test scripts in Python.

Message 39 of 68
(2,441 Views)

@antony.g wrote:

I really hope that community versions of the Linux and Mac editions are made available as well. A lot of companies I have worked at recently used Linux PCs for software development and testing, a lot of products are Linux based, plus Macs in the office. I myself like to use LabVIEW, but I keep getting asked to write test scripts in Python.

I think I've seen Windows, Mac and Linux listed in a photo of a slide somewhere.

That being said, I don't know how it will help you regarding your work (at least, not legally...)

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 40 of 68
(2,424 Views)