LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Community Edition


@billko wrote:

Wow!  Any details?  I couldn't hear any sound.  That would be a great way to keep your skills sharp if you're a contractor between jobs, for instance.


I only recorded Eric's announcement on my iPhone, and also only posted an excerpt of the whole 5 minutes on LinkedIn and Twitter, as kind of a teaser. Please take my apologies for the quality. We will have a professionally recorded and edited version of it available through GDevCon's Youtube channel in a few weeks. 


An opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepreneurs (Fab and Steve amongst them):
DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop @ NIDays Europe in Munich on 22nd November
Message 31 of 45
(1,395 Views)

@joerg.hampel wrote:

@billko wrote:

Wow!  Any details?  I couldn't hear any sound.  That would be a great way to keep your skills sharp if you're a contractor between jobs, for instance.


I only recorded Eric's announcement on my iPhone, and also only posted an excerpt of the whole 5 minutes on LinkedIn and Twitter, as kind of a teaser. Please take my apologies for the quality. We will have a professionally recorded and edited version of it available through GDevCon's Youtube channel in a few weeks. 


Sorry if it sounded like I was complaining; I wasn't.  I super-appreciated the heads-up!  Smiley Happy

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 32 of 45
(1,351 Views)

We have to be registered for tech preview, requiring an active SSP, to get the community edition?

I do have all these things, but that seems kind of strange... 


"I don't know" is a valid and respectable answer.
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 45
(1,246 Views)

@Newt wrote:

We have to be registered for tech preview, requiring an active SSP, to get the community edition?

I do have all these things, but that seems kind of strange... 


That seems to be the case until the actual Q4 release (at least that's how I read Eric's post).

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 45
(1,231 Views)


I only recorded Eric's announcement on my iPhone, and also only posted an excerpt of the whole 5 minutes on LinkedIn and Twitter, as kind of a teaser. Please take my apologies for the quality. We will have a professionally recorded and edited version of it available through GDevCon's Youtube channel in a few weeks. 


I can't wait it available!!! In the future, I hope NI releases community version of other toolkits ! (Of course I know it's too difficult : P)

Emboar
Certified LabVIEW Developer
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 45
(1,179 Views)

@Jacobson wrote:

@Newt wrote:

We have to be registered for tech preview, requiring an active SSP, to get the community edition?

I do have all these things, but that seems kind of strange... 


That seems to be the case until the actual Q4 release (at least that's how I read Eric's post).


I think it is LINX that is being released Q4.  LabVIEW Community Edition is due out with LabVIEW 2020 (ie NI Week).  And I'm not sure the Tech Preview will actually have a Community Edition because it will just be LabVIEW Pro with a license that says "not for commercial use".  That is unless the LabVIEW 2020 beta is going through the Tech Preview now.


GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 45
(1,135 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

I think it is LINX that is being released Q4.  LabVIEW Community Edition is due out with LabVIEW 2020 (ie NI Week).  And I'm not sure the Tech Preview will actually have a Community Edition because it will just be LabVIEW Pro with a license that says "not for commercial use".  That is unless the LabVIEW 2020 beta is going through the Tech Preview now.


Here's what I've understood so far:

 

- LINX has been already released as an early beta. Through the Tech Preview program.
- The LabVIEW Community Edition will be available in Q4 as a beta version also through the Technology Preview program.
- The first full (i.e. non-beta) version of the LabVIEW Community Edition will be released together with LV 2020 next year in May. 
- Regarding versions, I'm quoting Eric: "the LabVIEW Community Edition is completely free, and has no Watermarks on it.  It includes all of the functionality of the LabVIEW Professional Edition, including the ability to build and deploy executables."


An opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepreneurs (Fab and Steve amongst them):
DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop @ NIDays Europe in Munich on 22nd November
0 Kudos
Message 37 of 45
(1,114 Views)
Highlighted

I'll ask here rather than via PM as it is possibly or wider interest - what about non-profit organisations? Those of us that work with youth groups around the world (uniformed like scouts, or things like code camps) possibly fall between the gaps. We aren't education as such - we aren't teachers this isn't at school as formal schooling, but we do teach life skills or encourage interests, usually on even more of a shoestring than the average school. The work is non-commercial - if we get our expenses back we're usually happy and don't always get that much.

I'm also using my maker and programming skills more and more creating things to use when running some activities - again, we get paid expenses at most. I'm certainly not making money from it (losing money into it is more likely the case - I refuse to keep those accounts), would this version be suitable for that side of things? Anything to save me some programming time, and I find LabVIEW far more intuitive to code in than many other languages.

Message 38 of 45
(766 Views)

I really hope that community versions of the Linux and Mac editions are made available as well. A lot of companies I have worked at recently used Linux PCs for software development and testing, a lot of products are Linux based, plus Macs in the office. I myself like to use LabVIEW, but I keep getting asked to write test scripts in Python.

Message 39 of 45
(290 Views)

@antony.g wrote:

I really hope that community versions of the Linux and Mac editions are made available as well. A lot of companies I have worked at recently used Linux PCs for software development and testing, a lot of products are Linux based, plus Macs in the office. I myself like to use LabVIEW, but I keep getting asked to write test scripts in Python.


 

I think I've seen Windows, Mac and Linux listed in a photo of a slide somewhere.

 

That being said, I don't know how it will help you regarding your work (at least, not legally...)

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 40 of 45
(273 Views)