LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Bug Report: Write Delimited Spreadsheet.vi replacement wires things incorrectly

Highlighted

There is not a 1-1 mapping between "Write to file" or "Write to Spreadsheet file" and the new 2015 "Write to Delimited file."  It is just the same as complaining that replacing "Index and Bundle" with "Quotient and Remainder" results in broken wires.  Of course, you COULD script up a QD shortcut for replacing "Write to file" with "Write to Delimited File" if you feel it is that necessary for you.  

 

Now, I might just be miss-understanding exactly what behavior you are seeing!  a few screen shots (Like the ones I and others have asked for) Would go a long way to help us understand.  It is entirely possible that your copy of Write to Delimited file" has been corrupted by someone making changes to it and saving it! (Its not locked!)

 

 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 25
(630 Views)
Highlighted

@JÞB wrote:

There is not a 1-1 mapping between "Write to file" or "Write to Spreadsheet file" and the new 2015 "Write to Delimited file."  It is just the same as complaining that replacing "Index and Bundle" with "Quotient and Remainder" results in broken wires.  Of course, you COULD script up a QD shortcut for replacing "Write to file" with "Write to Delimited File" if you feel it is that necessary for you.  

 

Now, I might just be miss-understanding exactly what behavior you are seeing!  a few screen shots (Like the ones I and others have asked for) Would go a long way to help us understand.  It is entirely possible that your copy of Write to Delimited file" has been corrupted by someone making changes to it and saving it! (Its not locked!)

 

 


It could be that someone did a universal replace as I described above, and included vi.lib in the replace.  Since the replace did NOT result in a broken arrow - the remapping of the wires resulted in a valid, but incorrect wiring - when everything was saved, it saved the now corrupted file to vi.lib.

 

Whenever I do a replace, I go to each instance to make sure it is wired correctly.  I've been burned too many times by valid, but incorrect rewiring.

 

That is also why I recommended earlier in this thread that if old VIs are using the "spreadsheet" version, just leave it like that.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 25
(626 Views)
Highlighted

As a side note: 

At the risk of further hijacking this thread but, also in the interest of keeping related information together.  

 

Back-saving a vi that contains "Read/ Write Delimited Spreadsheet.vi" results in a broken vi:

I first saw this related behavior Here just last week.  Certainly, this was NOT the behavior I expected!  I did bring that item up for discussion (elsewhere) where I learned a few things that made these current behaviors make sense to me.  Would I like the ideal behaviors described (Back save replaces Read/Write Delimited Spreadsheet.vi with Read/Write Spreadsheet.vi and Replace Read/Write Spreadsheet.vi with Read/Write Delimited Spreadsheet.vi maps all I/O in a way where no other wiring is needed?  Well, Yes, I would!  However, for the few times I would actually need those features I can do the manual edits with fewer clicks that the seldom used QD Shortcut saves me! (Even if the QD Shortcut is on the machine that the edit is being done on)

 

So, stick these tidbits in the book of "LabVIEW trivea that can trip you up"

  • Read/Write Delimited Spreadsheet.vi is new to 2015
  • Read/Write Spreadsheet.vi are depreciated after 2015
  • They are not 1-1 mapped so, manual actions are required when crossing the 2014 - 2015 boundary

To be fair, the Config file vi disconnect between 8.6.1 and 2009 was far more problematic since names were preserved on incompatable vis

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 25
(611 Views)
Highlighted
I agree, be careful replacing any Write to File flavors on the BD. Its incorrects connect wrong string variables to whatever type of wire at wrong connections. Your forced to update the deprecated because the VI do not compile using 2015. BTW, I'm not able to post from my working PC, but the point is now clearer. Rich J
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 25
(574 Views)
Highlighted

@richjoh wrote:
I agree, be careful replacing any Write to File flavors on the BD. Its incorrects connect wrong string variables to whatever type of wire at wrong connections. Your forced to update the deprecated because the VI do not compile using 2015. BTW, I'm not able to post from my working PC, but the point is now clearer. Rich J

Just as an FYI - this could happen to ANYthing you replace.  LabVIEW tries to be smart about it and usually makes the right choice, but it pays to check.  There's an old Russian proverb (borrowed by an old American actor): "Trust but verify".  😄

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 25
(560 Views)