LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Bug Report: Write Delimited Spreadsheet.vi replacement wires things incorrectly

@richjoh wrote:
The Labview 2015 "Write Delimited Spreadsheet" VI doesn't work, it fails to write to a file. I opened the VI and its wired incorrectly with data output going into the "delimiter" connector. I wrote my own write delimiter spreadsheet for 2 dimension text array to a write to file. Your force to make a change from the old Write to Spreadsheet since the VI doesn't compile (broken arrow). Hopefully all of this is in the bug report already since I spent time troubleshooting only to find partial of issue already posted here. Rich J

First,  You should start a new thread to investigate your new issue.

Next, You claim you have a miss-wired vi in vi.lib.  Let us see you post:

1. a snip of the alleged miss-wire
  2. a snip of the owning lvilb with modification dates shown

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 25
(1,458 Views)
Folks, If your using LV 2015, drop the "Write to Delimited Spreadsheet" VI on your block diagram, put a 2D array or anything for matter as input, add a filename hit run. Now go an open the file just created, do you have your data there? No need post if your not running 2015 and have done this already. This is trivial. Rich J
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 25
(1,439 Views)

@richjoh wrote:
Folks, If your using LV 2015, drop the "Write to Delimited Spreadsheet" VI on your block diagram, put a 2D array or anything for matter as input, add a filename hit run. Now go an open the file just created, do you have your data there? No need post if your not running 2015 and have done this already. This is trivial. Rich J

And I'm just saying it seems to be unique to yourself, otherwise we would have a zillion posts on this already, and NI should offer everyone LV 2016 for free for releasing a product that had a bug of this tremendous size slip through their testing.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 25
(1,429 Views)

Maybe they fixed it in SP1? It works for me in LV2015 SP1 using a 2-D array of double.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 25
(1,427 Views)
Taki1999, Thanks for the response, I'm using 32bit, LV2015 (not the SP1) if any one has this version take a quick peek at it. The fix is quite easy so maybe its been fixed... in SP1. Rich J
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 25
(1,414 Views)

There was no mention of the fix in the release notes - nor was it mentioned in the known issues.  And just the fact that this thread implies that the VI is working, I have to say that, by emprical evidence - no mention of the alleged issue for the six months that LV 2015 was out - plus this thread that implies the VI is working and only has a wiring issue when replacing the old "write to spreasheet file.vi" - that there isn't a bug.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 25
(1,406 Views)

I cannot reproduce the described behavior in LabVIEW 2015 (no SP1). I'd love to see a screenshot of the VI with the incorrect wiring as you describe. Here's a screenshot of the VI as it shipped in LabVIEW 2015, verified in a clean install of LabVIEW 2015:

sf.png

The I64 and DBL instances are identical, except for the array data types and default format specifiers. If any of the DBL, I64, or String instances of Write Delimited Spreadsheet.vi looks different on your machine, then the only explanation I can think of is that the VIs were modified on your machine after LabVIEW was installed.

Oh, and I agree that this should have been started as a new thread instead of hijacking X.'s thread.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 25
(1,394 Views)

Please go ahead with the hijack. This is a one time authorization though...

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 25
(1,373 Views)
Thanks for all the feedback, you helped me confirm this thread is exactly correct!!! Repeat the thread title here! Whenever the deprecated "Write to File" VI is replaced which has "Write to Spreedsheet" as a subVI BOTH are replaced if you replace "Write to File" by right click then selecting "Write Delimited Spreadsheet VI" from the tools panel! So if you drop the new 2015 "Write Delimited Spreadsheet on your BD all looks fine like Darren's screen shot above, but if you replace the deprecated "Write to File" that has the RED X "deprecated" LV 2015 replaces TWO FILES, the top VI, Write to File and subVI Write to Spreedsheet screwing up the wiring in Write to Spreedsheet. So it wasn't until I look at the details of your response did I come to this conclusion, confirm the original authors issue! This is the correct thread.... Please try to replicate this if you have LV2014 or older Write to File VI, place it on your LV 2015 BD, right click it, select replace and choose Write Delimited Spreadsheet then observe. Then again the 2015 name is not "Write to File.vi" its "Write to Delimited Spreadsheet.vi" so replacing this is bad. But for LV 2015 right click replace VI overwrites the top & subVI and that's wrong. Do we have a proper replacement for the "Write to File.vi" besides what I inadvertently (and others will do) replace it with "Write to Delimited Spreadsheet.vi". Rich J
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 25
(1,355 Views)

@richjoh wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback, you helped me confirm this thread is exactly correct!!! Repeat the thread title here! Whenever the deprecated "Write to File" VI is replaced which has "Write to Spreedsheet" as a subVI BOTH are replaced if you replace "Write to File" by right click then selecting "Write Delimited Spreadsheet VI" from the tools panel! So if you drop the new 2015 "Write Delimited Spreadsheet on your BD all looks fine like Darren's screen shot above, but if you replace the deprecated "Write to File" that has the RED X "deprecated" LV 2015 replaces TWO FILES, the top VI, Write to File and subVI Write to Spreedsheet screwing up the wiring in Write to Spreedsheet. So it wasn't until I look at the details of your response did I come to this conclusion, confirm the original authors issue! This is the correct thread.... Please try to replicate this if you have LV2014 or older Write to File VI, place it on your LV 2015 BD, right click it, select replace and choose Write Delimited Spreadsheet then observe. Then again the 2015 name is not "Write to File.vi" its "Write to Delimited Spreadsheet.vi" so replacing this is bad. But for LV 2015 right click replace VI overwrites the top & subVI and that's wrong. Do we have a proper replacement for the "Write to File.vi" besides what I inadvertently (and others will do) replace it with "Write to Delimited Spreadsheet.vi". Rich J

Thanks for your summary - it seems you left a lot of info out of your previous posts.  I don't remember you mentioning anything about your problem happening when you replace the old VI with the new one.  Now what you are saying makes a lot more sense.  You are saying that there is a "write to spreadsheet file.vi" inside the "write to delimited spreadsheet.vi" - and it got replaced too???  I thought the default "search and replace" settings excluded vi.lib?

Now that would definitely be a bug.  Are you sure you have vi.lib excluded in your find and replace?

BTW - the original complaint was that it auto-wired the inputs and outputs incorrectly on the block digram it was on, not inside of it.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 25
(1,336 Views)