LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Access Violation Crashes

We've been seeing numerous LabVIEW crashes when calling VIs through the LabVIEW adapter in TestStand.  I've searched the knowledge base and discussion forums without success and figured I would post here before opening a help request.

The actual error we see is:

Exception: Access violation (0xC0000005) at EIP=0x012B60E6  Version: 11.0.1f1

We see these crashes several times a day, but while calling no specific VI.  They happen mostly on 2 PCs that are running Windows 7 - 64 bit, but I think we've seen them in the past on PCs running the 32 bit version of Windows 7. Here is the data related to those 2 problematic PCs.

LabVIEW: 2011 SP1 (11.0.1f1) 32 bit

TestStand: 2010 SP1 (4.5.1.134) 32 bit

PC:  Dell Optiplex 790 with Intel Core i5

Other significant information.

We see these crashes when we're running the batch model in TestStand with multiple threads open.  Some VIs are reentrant, and some are not.

The 2 PCs that run the batch model (with multiple threads) have the 64 bit version of Win 7 Pro, and crash most often.

The 3 PCs that run the sequential model or the batch model with a single thread have the 32 bit version of Win 7 Pro and rarely if ever have crashed.

Not sure if it's related to the OS version or the multi-thread usage and switching the PCs/OS versions to isolate that isn't easy.

Has anyone else seen similar issues?  Does Windows 7 Pro 64 bit work reliably with LabVIEW 2011 32 bit? 

Any information would be appreciated.

John Morrissey

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 37
(14,603 Views)

Hello John,

Please keep any further posts to this thread.

Regards,

Jeff L.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 37
(14,558 Views)

I have been running a LabVIEW only application and this morning got 5 of these excepetion errors!

I have compiled an EXE from the code - which utilizes Motion Assistant to generate some moves.  I was running profiles using this program just last week and changed nothing in the code - but Windows did some updates (not sure if that is relevant?)

LabVIEW 11.0.0 32-bit

LabVIEW Runtime 11.0.0 32-bit

Motion Assistant 2.7.0

NI Motion 8.3.0.3000

Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1

I just went into LabVIEW and did a "Check for Updates" and it returned with no updates found.

I got Exception: Access Violation (0xC0000005) at EIP = 0x hex address - each time was a different Hex address.

I also at BenNI suggestion looked at the Windows Admin Tools> Event Logs - and I noticed that I was getting errors when my program was making a call (not anything I wrote to call the DLL) MSVCR90.dll

I am not sure that is related as the timestamps don't perfectly coincide.  I have the error logs saved.

Ryan Vallieu CLA, CLED
Senior Systems Analyst II
NASA Ames Research Center
Message 3 of 37
(14,531 Views)

Hi Ryan,

I think I am working with you on this right now. For anyone else who is interested, here is a little update:

It now looks like the access violations occur at times other than when the VI or the exe is running. We're trying to narrow down which process is causing the access violation, and also looking into potential issues that may be related to User Account Control or anti-virus programs. A good thing to try in these cases it to try running the software as an Administrator. 

Regards,

Daniel H.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 37
(14,497 Views)

Any update?

I am running LV 2011 SP1 and repeatedly get this Access violation (0xC0000005) error (and LV crashes) when I try to run a loop that uses TDMS async functions. The program runs fine otherwise (if I block out this section of code). Even the TDMS code ran fine previously in LV 2010 version on this same PC and I don't recall making any changes to this code since I upgraded to LV 2011SP1.

OS is Win 7 32-bit

My User Account is Administrator

User Account Notification setting is "Never Notify"

The PC does not have an anti-virus program installed

Windows Firewall is Turned Off

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris Walker
Certified Labview Developer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 37
(14,437 Views)

Hi, would you please post your application that can reproduce this crash? Thus, we can investigate and try to solve your problem.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 37
(14,419 Views)

We appear to be having a very similar problem in LabVIEW 2011 (Vsn 11.0). Was there a fix for any of the problems listed above? We cannot trace the problem to a specific VI or node.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 37
(14,245 Views)

Hi I do have the same Access violation error but in a different situation.

I have Windows XP SP3. I am calling Python server from labview and also accessing veristand from Python. The same software we are using in two other PC but it never happened so we are trying to format the system (may be any other service may cause this issue and it is not the regular LV error nor defined anywhere. I will come back if the issue is fixed by cleaning up the PC.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 37
(14,239 Views)

Hello Stoove,

In order to debug this crash we need more information, I would recommend creating a service request for support. Meanwhile, maybe you can give us more information about your issue in another post?

Are you receiving the same access violation?

Are all the nodes using error handling with wires to check if you’re getting an error code in any particular part of your code?

Can you see if you can isolate a particular sequence of events that leads to the problem?

Have you disabled virus protection or software that runs in the background?

Are you interacting with external code? If you’re calling a Call Library Function Node, try removing it temporarily to determine if your application still crashes. You can also enable maximum error checking in the node.

I’m also attaching KB Where is the Error Log File Saved After a LabVIEW Crash? maybe we can also get information from it as well.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 37
(14,206 Views)

Hello P Anand,

Please see the post I did earlier to Stoove. Please let us know if it solved by cleaning the PC.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 37
(14,214 Views)