LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 8 not finding the user.lib directory

Has anybody else seen this problem?

I've been doing some development on a customrs PC and on mine. On the customers machine, they have LabVIEW install at
"D:\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8...". On my machine, I have it at "C:\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8...".

If I open the application on my machine when it was last saved on the customers machine, it starts searching for my user.lib VIs, and I get warnings like the one listed below.

"LH_Auto Controls Change__gewct.vi
    - The VI expected to be at "<userlib>:\Config File\Read Key(type and data)__distek.vi" was loaded from "C:\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.0\user.lib\File IO\Config File\Read Key(type and data)__distek.vi".
Write Control Values__gewct.vi

It does the saem thing when I open it on the customers machine after I've saved it on mine. The user.lib is in the default location on both machines and the "Paths" options are all set to default.

It just sems that since it appears to be using relative paths (note the <user.lib>:\Config...) that it should know where everything is.

Is this just happening to me?

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,716 Views)
Hello Ed, you are not alone.

"German languaged" MS operating systems use the folder C:\Programme as the counterpart for "English languaged" C:\Program Files.
When moving the user.lib from English to German or vice versa I always see the same as you have described.

Only user.lib seems to be affected. Files moved from/to
  LabVIEW8.0\templates   or
  LabVIEW8.0\_probes\vi.lib
are not affected.

I also use the LabVIEW installation defaults.

Best regards, Guenter
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,707 Views)
It almost makes sense that it would have the problem between different language versions, but you'd think that could be compensated for as well.

One thing I forgot to mention is that it doesn't seem to do this with all of my user.lib VIs, just certain ones. Can't explain that.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,697 Views)
I happened to notice that there does seem to be a difference. The <userlib> just gets you to the "user.lib" directory. On your machine you seem to have a "File IO" directory that precedes everything else, whereas based on the path saved on the customer's machine that directory wasn't there. So, based on the paths you gave it seems as if the directory structures are like this:

Customer
D
 Program Files
  National Instruments
   LabVIEW 8
    user.lib
     Config File

Your computer
C
 Program Files
  National Instruments
   LabVIEW 8
    user.lib
     File IO
      Config File

Is the directory hierarchy exactly the same between the two machines? This might explain why it happens with some VIs and not others.
Message 4 of 7
(2,694 Views)
Smiley Surprised

You're right. Somehow I missed that fact that didn't create the "File IO" directory on the customers machine. Not sure how that happened since I usually just drag directories accross so everything I need is there. I must have just grabbed the Config instead of the File IO.

Thanks for the sharp eye.

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,678 Views)
No problemo. Glad to help.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,673 Views)

I did not forget this post and in between I checked my "VI tree" and also found a difference in the file arrangement. Having fixed that everything works as it should be.

Thanks to all, Guenter

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,652 Views)