LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 8.5 is slow when editing

MSIBlast sounds like something I should do anyway, but I just ran another little experiment.  I zipped up my project, and carried it down the hall to a big desktop machine (2.5 GHz dual core processor, 4GB of memory).  This machine has only ever had 8.5 on it, unlike my laptop.

Basically, I get the same slow behavior.  It is defnitely related to VI size.  I opened my big project, and then opened a new, blank VI., where I drew a case structure and then right-clicked on the case structure to pop up "create constant".  The constant appeared instantaneously.  I repeated the same process inside my big VI and it was click...wait...and here we are.  A bit faster than on my laptop, but still a hindrance.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(1,164 Views)
I'm going to go out on a limb here....but I'm thinking it might not be the actual size of your project or top-level VI.  But perhaps some "artifact" that is on the Block Diagram (or perhaps several) that is somehow messing with things. 

This might not be possible here; but it's been suggested before for other similar problems.   Can you simply copy everything off your Block Diagram on your top level VI and paste it to another, new VI? 

I realize this would screw up your front panel.  But I wonder if you'd still have the same problem with very slow editing.  If you don't, it would be an indicator that there's something in your original that 8.5 is having a difficult time with. 
---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(1,149 Views)

pallen wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here....but I'm thinking it might not be the actual size of your project or top-level VI.  But perhaps some "artifact" that is on the Block Diagram (or perhaps several) that is somehow messing with things. 

What Patrick said makes sense.  It probably is an artifact.. Something that LV has to handle thoughout the Block Diagram... 
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(1,136 Views)
Before I follow this suggestion, please explain how such a damaged object could result in resonable response rates in 8.0, but slow editing in 8.5.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(1,093 Views)

LV maintains a record of all of the objects on your block digram in a form it can use to produce usable code. In the event some of the details describing one or more of the objects on your diagram were incorrectly recorded etc, LV could be attempting to do work that is associated with those "bad objects" and only after a grat deal of time finally conclude that the bogus info should be ignored.

For more reading on the subject of how LV stores your diagrams I suggest you search on "Insane Objects" where those that have "gone before me" have written at some length.

Trying to help,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 15 of 18
(1,086 Views)
Thanks Ben for the explanation...

It may be a good idea to simply solve your issue and move on with the code.

RayR

Message Edited by JoeLabView on 05-27-2008 03:38 PM
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(1,085 Views)

Hi,

I'm having pretty much the same problem - my main VI is using a state machine with about 40 states, and is about 2.3MB in size.  I'm getting about 2-3 seconds of delay in editing the block diagram, whereas with a new blank vi it is pretty much instantaneous.  Slightly faster on my laptop but still seeing the delay. 

I'm wondering, have you found a solution to your problem?  It doesn't seem like VI size should be an issue, i'm wondering if something else is the problem...

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(881 Views)

Not a good one.  The problem just seemed to go away.  I was not actively working on the big project that behaved slowly, but would occasionally open it to copy bits of code out.  Now I have gone back to it, and the editing response is acceptable.  At this point, I don't remember everything I did (a mass recompile?), but it is as if some internal conversion to 8.5 had to be completed, and now that it has, things are OK.

A pretty useless response, I'm afraid...

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(842 Views)