cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW: 8.5 (2007) to 2020

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello All,

Just to preface, I am very inexperienced with LabView and have almost no knowledge about terminology. I am learning as I go.

I am attempting to go from LabVIEW 8.5 to LabVIEW 2020. If I am reading the compatibility chart correctly, I should be able to without a problem. However, after I moved the files over to the new computer with LabVIEW 2020, I get a runtime error.

I have not connected the machine to the rest of the peripherals, would this throw the error?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Josh

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,886 Views)

Waaaaaay too many possibilities here.  If you could share at least some of you code or describe the architecture, we might be able to direct you somewhere.  At the very least, what are these errors you are running into?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,874 Views)

Thank you for the response.

I won't be able to share the code as it is part of a company and our agreement with them.

As to the architecture, what I am trying to run is a test. We plug a piece of hardware into our chamber and run the test through LabVIEW. 

I was assigned to get this test working on the new version of LabVIEW. This was originally set up in 2007 and the employee is no longer with our company. My position is more aligned with a I.T. Help Desk role but I do have a software background.

I am attempting to build the project in the new version. I will post screenshots of the errors when I have access to the computer. I do remember it being along the lines of a "Runtime Error".

I apologize for being vague.

Thanks,

-Josh

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,855 Views)

The exact error when I try to run the test reads:

"Unable to locate the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine."

"NAME_OF_TEST requires a version 8.5.1 (or compatible) LabVIEW Run-Time Engine"

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,804 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chris.K

You should install the Run-Time Engine.

ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/labview/windows/runtime/8.5.1/ 

Although it is not clear to me why LabVIEW2020 would need the LV RTE 8.5.1.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,797 Views)

Hi Chris,

@Chris.K wrote:

The exact error when I try to run the test reads:

"Unable to locate the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine."

"NAME_OF_TEST requires a version 8.5.1 (or compatible) LabVIEW Run-Time Engine"

So you are running an executable which was created using LabVIEW8.5.1: executables need a RunTimeEngine with support routines. (This is also true for other software, like Matlab or MSOffice…)

You need to install a suitable RunTimeEngine. You will find them at the NI website!

(When you really upgrade the whole LabVIEW project to LV2020 then an executable created with LV2020 will need the LV2020-RuntimeEngine.)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,796 Views)

This worked.

I appreciate the help.

Thank you,

-Josh

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,786 Views)

@ULiB  I also need the 8.5 runtime, but I cannot access the link you provided. Is there a typo?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,101 Views)
Message 9 of 10
(2,085 Views)

@UliB wrote:

I think NI removed ftp access.

Try http://download.ni.com/#support/labview/windows/runtime/8.5.1/ 

Not really. But all webbrowsers removed FTP support by now. If you use a real FTP client like WinSFTP you can still access the NI FTP server although its organization is pretty convoluted and it is hard to find anything on there.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 10 of 10
(2,075 Views)