LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 8.5.1 project file cannot be opened by other users.

In LabVIEW 8.5.1 I created a project file, but other users with admin rights can not open it.  How do I fix this?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,464 Views)
Hi Boeing,

What operating system are you using?  If you are using Vista, check out the following links.  They have some good information on using multiple user accounts.

User Account Control
External Links for Windows Vista Support

If you are using XP, check out the following page to ensure that file permissions are set correctly.

Windows XP: Set permissions for folders and files
Eric C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,432 Views)
What exactly happens when they try to open it? Error messages?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,422 Views)
I am using Windows XP, Service Pack 2 on a PXI chassis purchased from NI.  The error message displayed when another user (with admin rights) tries to open the project is "Project or Library file cannot be opened".  Normally in Windows XP, when a directory is right-clicked, there are four tabs, General, Sharing, Security and Customize.  For some reason, the Security tab is missing on this computer.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,372 Views)
Hey Boeing,

I would take a look at the following external link: Use access control to restrict who can use your files.  Down at the bottom of the page there is a section on showing the Security tab.  Give that a try and see if you can then grant permissions to the other user accounts.
Eric C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,344 Views)
Using the advice provided, I was able to add the Security tab.  Then I went to Security-Advanced-Permissions and gave the Administrators group full control permissions.  That was not sufficient to allow other administrators access to the project file.  Then I changed ownership of the directory and its contents to the Administrators group (Security-Advanced-Owner).  Then everything is ok.  The problem is resolved.  Thanks to those who helped!
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,306 Views)

I could open any of the vi's in the project no problem, just not the project itself.

I got the error message "project or library file cannot be opened"

I right clicked on the project file and went to security. I found all administrators had access. I am an administrator but I was still blocked from opening the project.

I added my name username specifically to allow access and then I was able to open the project.

Message 7 of 7
(5,132 Views)