LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 8.2 segmentation fault on Ubuntu Linux 8.10 64-bit

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, I just upgrade my Linux box to Ubuntu 8.10. And then, I found that LabVIEW 8.2 can't work on it, though it worked fine on Ubuntu 8.04. Does anyone have the same problem? Is there any solutions?

Cheers,

Forrest

--
Forrest Sheng Bao, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Dept. of Electrical & Computer Engineering
University of Akron, Akron, OH, USA
https://sites.google.com/site/forrestbao/
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 33
(7,142 Views)

Hi Forrest,

I believe Ubunto is not a supported operating system for LabVIEW, but I'll have to check further into that to be totally sure.

Thanks,

Dan Richards
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 33
(7,099 Views)
Thanks, Dan. I know Ubuntu is not officially supported by NI but LabVIEW worked on it well all the time, except this time. Ubuntu is a very easy-to-use Linux distribution, much better than Red Hat and SuSE. So, I really don't wanna migrate to Red Hat or SuSE this time because of unable to use LabVIEW.
--
Forrest Sheng Bao, Ph.D.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 33
(7,087 Views)

Although Ubuntu is not supported, I do see that LabVIEW can probably run on Ubuntu 8.04.

The instructions are as follows:

1. Mount the CD-ROM drive by opening it under Nautilus/Konqueror
  2. In the shell terminal, change to the directory of the CD-ROM i.e. cd /media/cdrom
  3. Run the INSTALL script by running bash INSTALL
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions to install the program.

See if that works and let us know. Thanks.

Dan Richards
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 33
(7,080 Views)

Hi Forrest,

By the way, I just saw that the VISA and 488.2 drivers will not install on the 64-bit system. Thought you should be aware of that...

Regards,

Dan Richards
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 33
(7,074 Views)

Forrest,

I also just saw that you're in 8.2 and 8.5 is the only version I'm aware of that works with Ubuntu.

Before you go upgrading, you can trying gathering more information. There should be some great previous discussions about this and you might try searching at www.ni.com in our discussion forums. You might also try adding screenshots of the error you see and coming up with a way to draw people to your discussion thread to get their attention and enlist their help. Also, I would provide more information about when you get the error and steps you've already considered.

Thanks,

Dan Richards
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 33
(7,054 Views)

Can you give more details on what you mean by "can't work". What happens when you try to run LabVIEW 8.2. Did you leave the current version on Ubuntu 8.10 or did you reinstall it after updating. If you can try running LabVIEW from a terminal and then post the errors that were outputted that may prove helpful as well.

Upgrading to Ubuntu 8.10 likely updated your kernel as well as various other dependencies. Just warning you though that as Ubuntu isn't officially supported by NI and for the versions that we do support we only support 32-bit this may be a problem that cannot be solved.

Steven Zittrower

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 33
(7,038 Views)

Here is the error msg:

forrest@Xem:~$ labview

LabVIEW caught fatal signal
8.2.1 - Received SIGSEGV
Reason: address not mapped to object
Attempt to reference address: 0x0
Segmentation fault

1. I have used LabVIEW 8.2 on Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit before and it worked fine for me

2. I installed LabVIEW 8.2 on a newly-installed Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit. And now it has problem.

--
Forrest Sheng Bao, Ph.D.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 33
(7,023 Views)

Forrest,

A segmentation fault is bad. This could be caused by a million different things and is usually programming specific. In short the program is trying to access an address that has either been deleted, or it is not mapped to an object (the memory was never allocated correctly or the OS did not map it), or the program does not have permission to access this memory address.

A couple shots in the dark fixes could be is to increase your stack limit or run it as a superuser. You can increase the stack limit by using the command ulimit in bash. Type "ulimit -s unlimited", without the quotes, to have an "unlimited" stack size. Then try running LabVIEW again.

To run it as a superuser type "sudo labview", again without the quotes. It will prompt you for your password. You will need root-level access to the machine to run it this way. Beyond these my only recommendations are to downgrade back to 8.04 or look into virtual machines to run LabVIEW on.

Sorry I couldn't provide more assistance. Using National Instruments products on unsupported operating systems always run the risk of breaking, especially when those operating systems are updated.

Regards,

Steven Zittrower

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 33
(7,015 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Forrest_Bao

ok, now it works all fine. I guess the problem is I deployed LabVIEW on Ubuntu 8.10 Release Candidate. The stable version has no problem.

forrest@Xem:/usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-8.2$ ldd labview
    linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xf7f6a000)
    libOSMesa.so.4 => /usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-8.2/linux/libOSMesa.so.4 (0xf7dff000)
    libGL.so.1 => /usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-8.2/patchlib/libGL.so.1 (0xf7dbb000)
    libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libX11.so.6 (0xf7cb8000)
    libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libXext.so.6 (0xf7ca9000)
    libdl.so.2 => /lib32/libdl.so.2 (0xf7ca5000)
    libpthread.so.0 => /lib32/libpthread.so.0 (0xf7c8c000)
    libstdc++.so.5 => /usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-8.2/linux/libstdc++.so.5 (0xf7bd5000)
    libm.so.6 => /lib32/libm.so.6 (0xf7baf000)
    libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xf7ba0000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf7a42000)
    libxcb-xlib.so.0 => /usr/lib32/libxcb-xlib.so.0 (0xf7a3f000)
    libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libxcb.so.1 (0xf7a25000)
    libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libXau.so.6 (0xf7a22000)
    /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7f6b000)
    libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xf7a1d000)

--
Forrest Sheng Bao, Ph.D.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 33
(6,727 Views)