cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2022 Q3 "clear compiled object cache" does not work as expected

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

It looks like LabVIEW 2022 Q3 does not clear compiled object cache (or maybe not fully).

The displayed amount of data in the cache always remains the same, regardless from the method of cleaning (through the menu or from the invoke method).

At the same time, if I measure project opening times, they will be substantially different:

1. Clear compiled object cache -> Close LabVIEW completely -> open the project: 72 seconds
  2. Save the opened project -> Close LabVIEW completely -> open the project: 49 seconds

LabVIEW 2018 on the same machine functions as expected. The same test as above, for the same project (it was just 2.9% smaller on LV2018) gives 53 and 23 seconds, respectively.

So, hard to say what's broken. And why compiler is so slow for the LV2022.

Best regards,

Dmytro

Message 1 of 19
(1,735 Views)

It is difficult to tell what exactly you are doing. Of course each LabVIEW version has it's own object cache.

Are these otherwise identical projects? Are all VIs set to separate compiled code? Have you tried clearing the object cache when the project is closed (e.g. if you would run the toplevel VI after clearing, things get recompiled of course)? Are the compilation optimization settings the same in both versions?

What are the sizes if you clear once more right after clearing? Does to show zero?

I only have 2022Q3 on a VM, will try a few things later...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(1,689 Views)

Thank you for your comment. Please find more details below.

C1: Of course each LabVIEW version has it's own object cache.

A1: Sure, I've tested both versions of LabVIEW independently. They was not even open at the same time.

C2: Are these otherwise identical projects?

A2: Same project, just a bit different points in the Git, LV2022 project is 2.9% bigger. (We've switched from LV2018 to LV2022 recently).

C3: Are all VIs set to separate compiled code?

A3: Yes.

C4: Have you tried clearing the object cache when the project is closed (e.g. if you would run the toplevel VI after clearing, things get recompiled of course)?

A4: Yes, I've tried to do so, can't see any difference.

C5: Are the compilation optimization settings the same in both versions?

A5: Yes, they are. Also the set of installed plugins and extensions is the same.

C6: What are the sizes if you clear once more right after clearing? Does to show zero?

A6: No, that's the case. Size is always similar and does not change at all, regardless from my actions, including Mass Compile.

It's not very big deal in general, but it is annoying. Like the same LV2022 randomly wiping VI icons texts and glyphs during the Mass Compile.

Also the influence on the performance is not clear.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(1,681 Views)

@D_mitriy wrote:

. Like the same LV2022 randomly wiping VI icons texts and glyphs during the Mass Compile.

Wait... WHAT?!

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(1,676 Views)

Well, I thought that everyone noticed already... Every time you do mass compile some texts and glyphs on random icons are missing. In another small project it was quite easy to spot this. Not sure, but it looks like "Apply icon to VI" may cause this as well. Unfortunately, I have no time for detailed investigation of this issue.

Edit: just to make it more clear. I have two projects currently. One has VI icons template set once and forever, never changed and "Apply icon to VI" never called. Only Mass Compiles. Bug present. Another project has gazillions of different VI's with different icons and sometimes I need to call "Apply icon to VI". Bug present, feels that it happens more often, but no statistics on that.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(1,669 Views)

@Frozen wrote:

@D_mitriy wrote:

. Like the same LV2022 randomly wiping VI icons texts and glyphs during the Mass Compile.

Wait... WHAT?!

I don't use 2022 daily, but I've heard of others complain about this too.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(1,645 Views)

The latest LabVIEW 2022 Q3 patch fixes the majority of the cases where icons were getting wiped out. The LabVIEW 2023 Q1 release should fix all the cases.

Message 7 of 19
(1,638 Views)

All the tests made with LabVIEW 2022 Q3. Sorry if I missed this somewhere.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(1,574 Views)

@Darren wrote:

The latest LabVIEW 2022 Q3 patch fixes the majority of the cases where icons were getting wiped out. The LabVIEW 2023 Q1 release should fix all the cases.

What 2022 Q3 Patch? I went to NI.com, and clicked the search button, but it doesn't do anything in Chrome at least.  I went to ni.com/software and the search actually does do something so I searched "labview 2022 q3 patch 1".  The first result is NI-VISA, then Academic VLA, then results get more wrong.

I googled it and the only thing I found was 2022 Q3 bug fixes but nothing about a patch.

In NIPM under Details under LabVIEW 2022 Q3 there is a mention of the Patch 1 and a link that goes here which doesn't mention any patch or give any download.  Now that I look at it closer that link is for 2023 Q1, despite the link being labeled 2022 Q3 Patch 1 in NIPM.  If I change the release to 2022 Q3 there is still nothing about a patch.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(1,562 Views)

Yeah, it's not straightforward. One of my colleagues at NI also couldn't find it. It's in the 'Updates' section of NIPM:

nipm.png

Message 10 of 19
(1,544 Views)