Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2020 Not Saving Overrides Correctly

Solved!
Go to solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author McQuillan

Ok. So... I found the issue. It's a one-line fix, and eventually I'll get a patch out to y'all (I don't control the timetable for patches, but whenever NI schedules the next one, I'll put this in it). 

The bug only affects a brand newly created VI from a template -- so, new VI for dyn dispatch, static dispatch, and override are all impacted. (Just occurred to me that I didn't test new from .vit, but for the moment, let's assume those are impacted also.) The bug prevents docmods from being set on the newly created VIs. So when you create a VI, you can make all sorts of edits to it, and when you hit ctrl+shift+s the first time, it will save because it doesn't yet have a path on disk and that will trigger saving. But later edits don't mark the VI as having unsaved changes. If you hit ctrl+s to explicitly save the VI, it will save. But if you hit ctrl+shift+s to save all unsaved VIs, it won't be included in the set. 

This only affects new VIs from templates. If you create a new blank VI, no problem. If you unload the project and reload, all the loaded VIs start normal document management correctly. 

So your workaround is to use ctrl+s often instead of ctrl+shift+s. And that sucks as a workaround, but it's the best I can offer at the moment. 

"Hey, AQ, why does a mode even exist where a VI can be edited and just doesn't get docmods?"

Yeah, you know the feature where you can use Open VI Reference to open a VI and not track changes for scripting? I found that I could dramatically improve performance of massive cloning operations by turning on that flag at the start of the operation. I just didn't remember to turn it off again at the end of the operation. So the newly created VIs behave as if they have an open VI ref that said not to track changes. 

One stupid line of code. 

"Why didn't your autotesting catch it?" 

Well, I have tests for "create new VI, make a change, save it to disk, load, verify the thing that saved loads", but they all use explicit save of the VI, which saves regardless of whether there have been any changes or not. It's not something I've typically had to worry about -- I've never managed to break LabVIEW in this particular way before. 

I'm sorry for the pain. Use the workaround, please. 

Message 11 of 16
(1,380 Views)

@AristosQueue (NI) wrote:

The bug only affects a brand newly created VI from a template -- so, new VI for dyn dispatch, static dispatch, and override are all impacted.

But that's 80% of what I do.

Not sure if knowing about this will help (just found out), but before I knew I lost hours on this.

Would a quick fix be to not open the references with the 0x01 option? That's probably a VI (somewhere in VIRetooler.lvclass?), and could be replaced manually for now. It will be slower without the flag, but it would be workable. I can loose a few seconds, if it saves hours...

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Can't go back (maps, sets and interfaces) but can't really work with LV20 either.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(1,198 Views)

I just noticed LabVIEW 2020f1 patch is now available and it has this bug listed in the list of fixes.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 13 of 16
(1,055 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(1,048 Views)

Interestingly enough, when applied to the Community version, the splash screen isn't updated to show the fix was applied.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(1,034 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

I just noticed LabVIEW 2020f1 patch is now available and it has this bug listed in the list of fixes.

Thank you for posting that. I intended to post the information here, but I didn't yet have confirmation that the f1 patch was actually live to customers.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(1,021 Views)