LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2019 revert to LabVIEW 8.0

I got a program from a computer(XP) of my laboratory, which makes contact with an equipment and runs under LabVIEW 8.0, and I edit it with my laptop(Win10) and the version is LabVIEW 2019. After finishing modifying, I revert the program to LabVIEW 8.0 because I want to test it in the lab computer(the drivers of the equipment only support 32-bit OS, so I can't run it in my laptop); however, the error shown in the figure emerges. I had confirmed that I didn't use any object which doesn't exist in LabVIEW 8.0.

IMAG0619.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,248 Views)

Wow!  LabVIEW goes through yearly updates and changes, which makes "going backwards" to an earlier version a bit of a challenge, and you want to go back 11 years!  What's even more amazing (to me) is that LabVIEW allows you to (attempt to) do this!

I would be astonished if it worked (unless the code was trivially simple).  I notice you didn't attach the routine that failed (so we can't make "helpful suggestions" like "Did you know this Property was changed in LabVIEW 2011?"), so I'm not sure how much direct help we can provide.

But here's a suggestion:  "Take Tiny Steps".  Save for Version 2016.  Look at what you get -- is it a single VI, or did it "pull in" multiple VIs from Libraries?  Let's be optimistic and assume you got a single VI.  Repeat, saving for 2013.  Keep going back 3 years at a time until (a) you get back to 2008 with no errors, or (b) some step "blows up".  Now you have a narrow(er) window in which to look and try to figure out what went wrong.

Or you could post your VI.  Or you could use the Forum's "Version Conversion" Board (listed on the first page of the Forum).  You'll have to send them your code, however ...

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 16
(3,229 Views)

Ok I will describe my procedure in detail here. I press '"Save for Previous Version..." first, and I choose options in following three figures.

1.png2.png3.png

I choose "Picture Control v1" in case of that the v2 one is new to LabVIEW 8.0.

Then I press "Save...", there are 85 warnings. But they are strange,

4.png5.png

They told me like "add", "multiply", etc, some basic function didn't work in LabVIEW 8.0. I thought it was ridiculous so I ignored it. And I move the whole llb file to the lab computer, and the error emerged.

error 15.png

That's the whole story.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,182 Views)

I believe you.  My suggestion was based on the following observation:

• I have frequently "saved for Previous" when I went back 1-4 versions.
  • Not everything is "backwards-compatible".
  • The chance of something breaking when trying to go back 14 versions is high.

You find that you get 85 warning (which you ignore), and a result that doesn't work.  I'm suggesting that you try to "save for previous" to a smaller number of steps, and determine when the errors start occurring.  If you can go back to LabVIEW 2009 safely, for example, that implies the "breaking point" is a decade ago, while if it starts to fail at LabVIEW 2013, it's more recent.  Ideally, you'll find the oldest version where no errors occur -- seeing "what's New" in that Version could provide clues as to what is breaking.

Or you could send your code to the Version Conversion Board.

Feel free to ignore this advice.

Bob Schor

Message 4 of 16
(3,175 Views)

Ok maybe I will try Version Conversion Board later.

I just recalled that I had written an additional subVI in LabVIEW 2019, will it revert to LabVIEW 8.0 when I revert the main VI?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,163 Views)

Hi choujx,

usually subVIs are included in the "Save for previous" process…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 6 of 16
(3,153 Views)

It specifically complains about a polymorphic VI, so you can remove that problem by using the polymorphic instance directly (probably).

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,124 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

Wow!  LabVIEW goes through yearly updates and changes, which makes "going backwards" to an earlier version a bit of a challenge, and you want to go back 11 years!  What's even more amazing (to me) is that LabVIEW allows you to (attempt to) do this!

LabVIEW 2019 is the first release whose name followed the year.  LabVIEW 8.0 was more around 2005.  So you are talking 14 years!

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,085 Views)

Could we create polymorphic VIs in LV 8.0?

it was the first version that used a project...

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,074 Views)

You don't specify how much time you spent "modifying" the program, but I bet you could do the same changes in less time directly on the LV 8.0 computer in the lab. If possible, remote desktop from your laptop so you can see the code side-by-side to make the changes exactly as in LV2019.  You could also print the diagrams to take to the lab.

Michael Munroe, CLD, CTD, MCP
Automate 1M+ VI Search, Sort and Edit operations with Property Inspector 5.0, now with a new Interactive Window Manager!
Now supports full project automation using one-click custom macros or CLI.
Message 10 of 16
(3,072 Views)