LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2019 Invalid App Kind

I use the AppKind property (App property node) in lots of my programs to either exit or not depending on whether the program is running in the development system or compiled exe.

I just upgraded from LV2017 to LV2019 and the App.Kind property returns "Invalid app kind" for the LabVIEW 2019 development system!

AppKindCapture.PNG

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 1 of 17
(3,465 Views)

Don't have 2019 to test, but what happens is you delete the open reference in your VI. Just use the property node App Kind, you should not need the Open in front of it. Maybe it is passing an invalid reference.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(3,442 Views)

Same thing... I think I found a bug!

AK2Capture.PNG

BTW: The first post was a chunk out of a VI I wrote over a decade ago when I was pretty green... I used to always put things like the Open and Close in my VI's "just because". I am a little more lazy about it these days

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(3,434 Views)

Just guessing here, because that property is used everywhere and if something was wrong with it, I am surprised that it hasn't been reported before.

I would suggest exiting and restarting LabVIEW and see if the error persists, if so, you may have found a bug.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(3,426 Views)

@mcduff wrote:

Just guessing here, because that property is used everywhere and if something was wrong with it, I am surprised that it hasn't been reported before.

I would suggest exiting and restarting LabVIEW and see if the error persists, if so, you may have found a bug.

mcduff

My first and second post are from TWO DIFFERENT installations on two different computers! 

I might have a third station with 2019 Development System installed

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(3,423 Views)

I just tried this in LabVIEW 2019, and I get the "Development System" return from the App.Kind Property Node.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(3,419 Views)

Here's a new twist

On two out of three systems it returns "invalid app kind" but on the third it returns "Development System"

All three are Version 19.0f2

I don't know what to think...

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(3,396 Views)

While it doesn't address the problem with the node your system in particular seem to be having, have you considered using a Conditional Disable Structure with the RUN_TIME_ENGINE condition?  That reduces your options to two discrete ones, instead of 6 valid options and 1 invalid option.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(3,390 Views)

Data point: My Windows 7 Virtual Machine with version 19.0f2 32 bit LabVIEW - returns "Development System".

Possible clue - "invalid app kind" is the default value. Have you probed the wire?

steve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the forum when you get help. Click the "Solution?" icon on the reply that answers your
question. Give "Kudos" to replies that help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(3,389 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

Here's a new twist

On two out of three systems it returns "invalid app kind" but on the third it returns "Development System"

All three are Version 19.0f2

I don't know what to think...

@stevem181 wrote:

Data point: My Windows 7 Virtual Machine with version 19.0f2 32 bit LabVIEW - returns "Development System".

Possible clue - "invalid app kind" is the default value. Have you probed the wire?

steve

The only difference between these three systems is the one that returns "Development System" is running Windows 7 and the other two that return "invalid" are running Windows 10

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(3,377 Views)