LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2018 crashes a lot!

I know this is a little late, and you've probably moved to 2019 already.  We have to support whatever our customer is using, so I have to keep working in 2018 frequently (and 2011, etc.).

I thought this was just my machine, so ignored it.  Then I saw it on 2 other computers.  If I open a project that requires ANY additional licenses, AND I run LabVIEW 2018 & open the project quickly, it crashes.  Every time.

My work-around is to start LabVIEW 2018, then wait for the cursor to change to the spinner (used to be hourglass), then wait for it to go back to an arrow for about 3-5 seconds.  Then I can open whatever project I want, and it works.

I've only experimented a few times, but an almost empty project doesn't seem to be a problem.  From the crash report data, it always mentioned a file that looked like it would be related to the NI licensing tools, so I think (don't know for sure) it has to do with using toolsets that need additional licenses.

(479 Views)

You should NOT have LabVIEW 2019 and any other older version installed on the same machine. NI should be telling people this. The new "Installation Manager" completely mangles the earlier non-manager installations, so that you can't cleanly uninstall them, and forget about adding a package for an earlier LV version.

We found lots to problems across our machines, including the cRIO Discovery service was disabled & set to manual - which meant MAX or LabVIEW would never find a cRIO, sbRIO or SOM device. The error it did generate was non-specific - we wasted days on this.

We're doing Virtual Machines on Win10 - it works. Or use a completely different development computer for a specific LV version development.

Regards

Jack

Message 22 of 23
(474 Views)

Good point (MrJackHamilton).  And thanks for mentioning that.  (I'm sorry I didn't think to).

I use VMWare (this is NOT a recommendation for VMWare; just that I use it to run virtual machines).  I was able to keep 4 LabVIEW revs on each VM till 2019.  (i.e. I have 2010 ... 2012 in one VM, 2013...2016 on another, 2017 & 2018 on another).  I tried 2018 & 2019 on the same VM, but gave up, deleted both, and started over.  I never tried 2019 & 2020 together, so don't know if they would do well.

I tried 2018 and 2019 on my host OS, and got it so hosed that I can't install anything related to DAQmx or NI-MAX, or it won't boot.  Uninstalling to start over with only 2018 or 2019 didn't fix anything.

(467 Views)