From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW 2017 and Compiled Applications slow to Start, Crash on exit

Solved!
Go to solution

We have 5 LabVIEW users in our office and we make daily builds of our software.  Since upgrading to LabVIEW 2016 about 8 months ago (I believe we are all using 16.0f2) we have noticed an issue wherein LabVIEW does not close cleanly about half the time.  It tends to get stuck and you have to kill it from task manager.  Furthermore occasionally it takes a long time (30 seconds+) to open to the labview splash screen.  This would be merely annoying if not for the fact that these behaviors seem to be occurring on our compiled application as well.

Is this a known issue with LabVIEW 2016?  Given that we're seeing it on many many machines I would imagine we're tapping into some known problem.  I see that in the LabVIEW 2017 release notes there's an issue number 572024 that may be related.  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,789 Views)

Apologies, I put Labview 2017 in the title, this is referring to LabVIEW 2016.   Furthermore, we typically use 64 bit rather than 32 bit (but we use both) so our observations are probably valid for x64.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,748 Views)

I have a few questions that might help troubleshoot:

1. What operating systems are you using? 

2. What was the previous version of LabVIEW you were using before upgrading?

3. Does this happen on both 64 bit and 32 bit? 

4. Can you check the RAM usage? 

The issue you were referring to (572024) is actually a bug fix for LabVIEW 2017, which means it was a known issue for LabVIEW 2016. The details of the bug fix are "When the Customer Experience Improvement Program is enabled and the application uses the Start or Wait on Asynchronous Call VIs it may cause the application to hang if Quit LabVIEW is called." Does this sound like it describes your issue? 

Francine P.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,718 Views)

1) Windows 7, 8, 10

2) LabVIEW 2014

3) We mostly use x64 and have observed it there.  We don't use x86 often enough to have noticed.

4) I will make a note to do this next time I observe it.

On issue 572024  -  We do use Start/Wait on Asyncronous Call as well as Quit LabVIEW at the end of our program.  How can I determine if the Customer Experience Improvement Program is turned on?  Does it only apply to machines with LabVIEW installed (because this hang on exit is happening on machines without LabVIEW as well as machines with LabVIEW)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,695 Views)

To see if the Customer Experience Improvement Program is turned on, simply click on your start button and search "CEIP." The first item that comes up should be "Change Customer Experience Improvement Program settings." This will show you whether or not you are participating in the program. If you are, change the settings by selecting "No, I don't want to participate in the program" and save changes. Do you still get the LabVIEW crash/hang behavior after changing this?

You can find more information on enabling or disabling CEIP here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730757(v=ws.11).aspx#BKMK_Enable

Francine P.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,673 Views)

For anyone looking at this after the fact, on Windows 10 searching CEIP doesn't return a valid result.  Instead do Start->"change customer..." and as you type it out it will eventually show the options Francine refers to.

Francine: I will have people try this and get back to you

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,670 Views)

We are looking at the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program dialog in Windows 10.  Not the one in the "National Instruments Software" Panel (because this option doesn't exist on machines without labview in the NI software panel)

A quick survey shows that machines in our office with LabVIEW installed have the windows customer experience improvement program set to "Yes"(On) and machines which do not have LabVIEW installed have this option set to "No"(Off)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,663 Views)

Thanks for clarifying how to get to the CEIP dialog. I'm using Windows 7 so that's how I was able to get there on my computer.

After disabling the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program on your computers with LabVIEW installed, do you still get the same slow/crash behavior that you described? 

Francine P.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,657 Views)

With Customer Experience Improvement Program turned off I just had LabVIEW fail to exit cleanly.  Opening task manager I see that LabVIEW is consuming 460MB and my overall memory is 51% used.  The very noticable thing, however, is that Kaspersky Endpoint Security is taking up between 40-90% of the cpu and LabVIEW 14%.  I suspect that Kaspersky is somehow interfering with LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,643 Views)

I killed Kaspersky from the task manager and immediately LabVIEW finished exiting.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,642 Views)